-22-

I woke up with a pounding headache, which I guess was normal after a night out. I sat up groggily but forced myself to get ready anyway. After I put myself together, I went downstairs, lights off, to pour myself a cup of coffee. As soon as I sat down with my mug, the doorbell rang, sending out a piercing noise through my head. I winced and rubbed my eyes as I made my way to the door. 

"Kacey!"

My brother, whom I hadn't seen in over a year, stood in front of me. He looked slightly worried as his hands were stiff in his pockets and he was scratching his new beard. He had been out of the country building houses and water wells in third-world countries as he took a year off to figure out what he wanted to do. "Hey, Leo! How've you been!"

I gave him a big hug and brought him inside. "I'm good! Do you want some tea or coffee or anything?"

"I'll take some Jasmine if you have any?"

"Of course. I'll put a pot on." I put a kettle on my stove. "Does Katelyn know you're back?"

"Not yet. But, while I'm thinking about it, Dad wants a dinner tomorrow with the four of us."

"Have you heard anything from the other two?"

"No, not recently." The pot started screaming so I filled our mugs, took them into the living room, and sat down across from him. "Last I heard Mark was trying for some pro football team, though."

"Good for him. It feels weird to not know what's going on in my own brother's lives now. We just keep missing each other."

"Well, hopefully, they join us back home soon. We all, but especially dad, would appreciate it."

"Definitely. Now, I know you're not just here to sit and chat. What's on your mind. Why are you here?"

"You're right. As much as I want to be here just to see all y'all, the truth is two things. First, I heard about your little situation and I wanted to check in on you."

"Oh, I'll be fine. I wish everyone would stop babying me though. I feel like that's all I'm asked right now. What's the second thing?"

"The second thing-" He smiled and pulled his phone out of his back pocket. "-I'm engaged!"

"Engaged!" I gasped and took his phone from him to see the picture of his glowing bride. "Oh Casey, this is amazing!" She was a gorgeous woman who was from Indian descent. She was wearing a brightly colored sari while she stuck out her hand with a small and simple but beautiful ring on it. She looked like a model and they looked like a perfect couple. "I didn't even know you were seeing someone!"

"Well, I'm really bad at texting and calling, as you know, and it happened kinda fast. Omya is the most incredible girl, though, and I know you'll love her."

"I have no doubt! How did you two meet?" 

"We were both working for the company that sent us to build a school in Africa. We hit it off and started taking our trips together. I think we both just... knew, you know? We knew each other was the one."

He was glowing as he continued to talk about their adventures together and their wedding plans. I know it's a cliche, but I've never seen my baby brother so happy. He was discussing having two weddings, one in the states and one back in India for her relatives. Afterwards, they were planning on coming back to Texas for school, then they'd figure out where they were moving to after they both graduated. He was glowing as he talked about her.  I wonder if I looked like that whenever I talked about Laurance.

"Well, I'm just thrilled for you. You're really a grown up. That's so bizarre!"

"It's a weird feeling seeing your family and friends grow up. But it's such a nice feeling, too, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is." I smiled as I reflected privately.

"Anyways, what's going on in your life? I've been going on and on about Omya. I want to hear about you!"

"Well, I just got a job at the high school and I started seeing someone recently, too."

"No way! You finally moved on from that asshole, Laurance! Who is it?"

I gave a small, awkward chuckle. "Um... well-" Thankfully, I was cut off by the doorbell. "Oh! Looky there! I have to go get that real quick. Hold that thought!" I shot up and hurried to the door. Unfortunately-

"Hey, Leo! How're you feeling this morning?" Laurance took a step forward, holding a cup in his hand, and gave me a big hug. 

"Oh, umm, fine, thanks." I could feel my face warm quickly as he squeezed me and pulled away.

"I brought you a smoothie that always helps me when I've had a night out. I promise, it cures absolutely everything." He gave me a surprised look and cocked his head to the side. "Why're you blushing?"

I closed the door and pointed him towards the living room. "You remember my brother Kacey?"

Now it was his turn to turn red. "Oh, yeah. Hey, man."

Kacey looked back and forth between us before he stood up and shook Laurance's hand. "Yeah, hey." He looked directly at me with a shocked and a 'what are you doing' look. "Dude?"

"Okay, don't tell dad, I want to tell him on my own, but... well." I grabbed Laurance's arm. "I'm back with Laurance!" Kacey glared a little. "Yay?"

"Leo... Can I talk to you for a second?" He didn't wait and pulled me into the kitchen. Then he flicked me in the head."

"Hey!"

"Leona, are you being serious right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you remember how you were affected last time?"

"Of course I do, I lived it!"

"What does Katelyn think?"

"I mean, she's not exactly thrilled, but she never is-"

"Why do you think this is a good idea?"

"Because I love him, Kacey!"

"That's not always enough, Leona!"

"Just, listen to me Kacey!

"But-"

"Shut it!" I snapped. Then took a deep breath. "I love you and appreciate your concern, Kace, but you have to remember. I'm an adult. You may not agree with or even understand my decision, but it's still mine to make. But the two of us have grown up a lot over the past few years. When I went to visit Cadenza and their family, me and him had some very blunt and serious conversations. We discussed our miscommunication and why we didn't work and both of us know that we're not going to be perfect. We're going to mess up. A lot. But we're wanting to do that by each other's sides. We care for each other and we want more than anything to make it work. I promise we didn't rush into this. I think both of us were meant to reach this moment. I truly think that he's my soulmate. Like Omya is for you. Can you respect that? At least for now?"

He studied my face. I could feel it scrunched up in a frustrated but firm position. Thankfully, he could tell that I was serious. "Fine. Unless he gives me a reason, I'll accept it."

"Thank you." I pointed back at the living room. "Now get in there and make nice before I make you make nice."

"Yes ma'am." He patted my shoulder before I followed him back into the living room

Thanks for reading!

(Sorry for the long break)