-5-

"What time's the play, again?" I asked Katelyn two weeks later. I was spending the night in her living room after her last rehearsal writing out my lesson plans for my class in January.

She was flipping through channels on her TV. "Seven o'clock."

"Great! I'm so excited to see everyone.

She froze for a second and set down the remote. "Um, hey, I need to tell you something."

I put my pen down. "What is it?"

"So... You know how my friends are playing the characters in my play?"

"...Yeah?"

"So, umm..." She cleared her throat. "Laurance is kind of playing... Friar Lawrence."

"O-oh. Really?" I tried to mask my emotion. "That's... that's nice."

"Are you okay with that? If not, you totally don't have to come, I'll understand-"

"No, no. I'll come. You've been working hard on this, I wanna see it!"

"Okay." She picked up the remote, again. "Okay. If you change your mind that's fine, okay?"

"I won't, but thank you." I picked up my pen, but didn't write anything. I knew I was going to have to see him again, anyway since we live on the same street now, but I didn't expect to have to see him so soon. I'd only have one day to prepare to see him. "Umm, question."

"Yeah, what is it?" Her eyes were glued on the screen.

"What should I wear?"

She flashed her eyes at me. "You aren't already overthinking this because of-"

"No! No, of course not." I lied. "...So, what do you think?"

"Something nice-ish. Maybe that silky dress with the slit and you can wear a white shirt under it to make it look a little more casual."

Aphmau walked in the house and took off her jacket. "Hey, Leona! What are you talking about?"

"What I'm wearing tomorrow night." I replied. "We decided on my longer black dress with a shirt underneath."

"Ooo! And your white gogo boots! AND throw on your green blazer!"

"That's perfect!" I smiled at her. "Thanks, guys!"

"No problem! So, why are you thinking about it this early?" She sat down next to me on the couch.

"Oh, no reason."

"Bull." Katelyn rolled her eyes. "It's because of Laurance."

"Katey!"

"Oh, so you found out about him?" She gave me a cautious look. "Are you... okay about that?"

"Of course. That was years ago guys." I laughed and shrugged. "I'm over it!" They gave me a doubtful look. "Really!"

Aphmau broke first. "Well, good! Because I have a proposition for you."

"What is it?"

"I have a friend that I want to set up on a date. You interested?"

"Who is it?" I asked.

"You remember Aaron?"

I was taken aback. "Wait, that creepy guy who dated you when we were freshmen and he was a senior?"

"You're making it sound bad! But, yes. Him."

"I thought you were into him, though?" Katelyn click on 10 Things I Hate About you, which happened to be my favorite movie.

"W-what?!" Her eyes went wide. "N-no, no! Of course not!"

"Are you sure you're okay if I go out with him?"

"Yes, definitely! I'm totally not interested in him. He's all yours! So, you down?"

"I mean, he's not really my type, but okay." I smiled.

"Great! So, would after the play work for you?"

"Oh, um. Sure, I guess that works." 

"Great! I'll set it up!"

Well, at least I'll have a distraction while I'm waiting to see him again.

-

"Leona! Come on, it's time to go!"

"Alright, I'm coming, I'm coming!" I quickly put on my lipstick before throwing it in my purse and walking downstairs. "Okay, let's go."

She turned, my blazer in her hand. "Woah! You look good. Aaron will be speechless!"

"Thanks!" I grabbed my jacket from her hand and put it on. "Let's go. I'm driving."

When we got there it was already packed. We grabbed some popcorn and some sodas and sat down in our seats that were in the very front. We chatted until the lights came down. Katelyn came out looking professional in a navy suit and thanked us all for coming. "And a special thank you to my friends and family. I wouldn't be here at al tonight if you hadn't given me that push I needed. Alright, enjoy the show!" Everyone clapped as she walked off the stage. Everyone was doing so well. I was enjoying it so much that I forgot that Laurance was even in the show, until the second act. When the lights came up for scene three, I sucked in. He walked out on stage wearing a blanket. He looked almost the same, except he filled out a little and had a little stubble. My heart pounded. He was just as handsome as he used to be. I was so distracted from seeing him for the first time in four years, didn't even hear his words until Romeo, played by Aaron, walked in. 

"Within the infant rind of this weak flower. Poison has residence and medicine power; for this, being smelt, with that part cheers each part, being tasted, stays all senses with the heart. Two such opposed kings encompass them still in man as well as herbs, grace and rude will; and where the worst is predominant, full soon death eats up that plant."

"Good morrow, Father."

"Benedicite! What early tongue so sweet greets me? Young son, it argues a distempered head so soon to bid good morrow to your bed." He paused when our eyes locked. Hours seemed to pass between us in the matter of moments before he realized where he was. "Care keeps his watch in every old man's eye, and where care stays, sleep will never lie; but where unbruised youth with unstuffed brain does couch his limbs, there golden sleep reigns. Therefore the earliness assures that you art up-roused with some distemperament; or if not so, then here I hit it right— Our Romeo has not been in bed tonight."

His performance was mind blowing. So much so that I couldn't focus on it until the very end, when they started the final scene.

"What's this? A cup in my true love's hand?" Aphmau stood next to Aaron's body. "Poison, I see, was his timeless end! O churl, drunk all, and left no friendly drop to help me after? I will kiss your lips, haply some poison yet must hang on them, to make me die with a restorative." As she leaned in, a flash of light blinded us. When it vanished, we saw Garroth kissing the person on stage. When he pulled back, the person on stage, that we had previously thought to be Aaron, threw off his helmet to reveal a shocked Laurance under the mask.

Lucinda leaned over to my ear. "Well, that wasn't supposed to happen."

The boys stared at each other and screamed. 

I laughed loudly with the rest of the crowd. This would make remeeting Laurance much more entertaining.

Thanks for reading!