-8-

I walked into the coffee shop, looking around for a woman that fit the description that she gave me. There were only four people in the room, though, the very attractive barista, a young teen couple, still in uniform, and an older man who was typing away on his laptop. I ordered a dirty chai and sat down at one of the tables.  When she brought it out to me, I thanked her and immediately started to nervously tap the mug as she walked away. I didn't even know what exactly I was going to say to her. A lot of questions and things had come to me since I got the letter, but all of them escaped me as soon as I walked into the cafe.

Finally, a woman with short and curly light brown hair walked in. After she ordered something, she started looking around, clutching something tight in her hands. She was pale and shorter, like me. Her face features were mostly different than mine. Except for her eyes. When her green eyes met mine, I knew it was her. I stood as she made her way over to me. "Hi, Leona?"

"Yeah."  I shook her hand. "It nice to meet you-" I stopped. What do I call the woman who gave me up before I was even born?

"Y-you can call me whatever you want. Julia, Mrs.Azura, whatever you're comfortable with."

"Mrs? You're married?"

"Yes. I met someone a few years back." She began playing with her wedding ring. Just like I did. Well, not a wedding ring, but my rings in general. Seeing a similarity calmed me down a little bit.

I set my hands in my lap. "So..."

"So." The barista set down a steaming cup of matcha. 

"Matcha, huh?"

"Yes. I've heard it's good for you."

"You enjoy eating healthy?"

"Yes, I'm an all natural kind of girl. Vegan, too."

"Oh, wow! That must be difficult."

She took a sip. "It was at first, but you figure out what you like and stick to those." She looked up at me, her gaze softening. "Wow. You grew up well."

I tucked my hair behind my ear, feeling a little awkward. "Um, thanks."

"What do you do for work?"

"I'm a teacher. I work at Phoenix Drop High as the art teacher and I teach a few history classes."

"Wow. You're so smart." Her look got a little sad. "I just can't believe it."

"Well, my family supported me through college. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them. Especially my sister."

"You have a sister?"

"And three brothers. Two live far away and the other's in his last year of college."

"And what are your parents like?"

"Well, it's actually just my dad. Our mom died a long time ago."

"Oh, dear! I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. We moved on as well as we could. They were plenty for me."

"Oh." Her face got sadder. "I-I really am so sorry. There's really nothing I could ever say to-"

"No need to apologize, I understand-"

"No, please. Let me try." She took a breath. "Your father was an important business man that had a wife and child. It was my first job and I was his secretary. After working there for a few year, his wife started coming to less and less events. He started talking less of her and I got the sense that they were having problems. I had liked him since I first started working there, but I never did anything about it because of his wife. However, we were at the office late one night and he mentioned how he was thinking about leaving her. We had been flirting for a bit, but it was never anything serious until that night. We ended up doing something that he quickly regretted. When I found out that I was pregnant with you, I told him, thinking that maybe this would give him the push he needed. However, his wife apparently had just told him the night before I did, and he freaked out. He told me right after that he wished that it never happened and he promptly fired me. As I left he told me to get rid of you. Permanently." My heart lurched. "He was never an awful man. He got that way later. I'm not completely sure what did it or what he's like now, but he might be an amazing man now like he was then. Anyway. I went back and forth the whole pregnancy on whether I was planning on rising you myself or if I was going to give you another chance at a different life. I eventually decided to give you away because I would've been doing it all alone. My parents turned their back on me when I had told them about you and my friends didn't like children. I've regretted it since and even went back to get you, but you had already been adopted." She wiped a tear away. "But hearing how happy and how successful you are, makes it all okay."

I sniffed, tears starting to form. "Oh, wow."

"I know, it might be a lot to ask, but I'd love to have a relationship with you. I-if you're willing to, that is."

"I... umm."

"I completely understand if you want nothing to do with me after today, but I want to if you are."

"No, it's not that. I'm definitely interested. I just have one question. Well, one big question."

She smiled and reached over and patted my hand. "Sure, anything."

"Who's my father?"

She bit her lip and looked down. "Anything but that."

I was taken aback. "What? Why?"

"It's just..." She took a slow breath. "Your father has this... whole life, you know? He has a wife and kids. I doubt that he ever told them about... you. Us. I don't want to uproot their life."

"Look, what if I promise to never contact him? Will you, then?"

"No. Unless I see a reason, I won't." She hesitated. "Is that okay?"

"That..." I exhaled. "That sounds fine."

"Good. Thank you."

"Well, I have plans to go meet my friend Garroth. I'll need to leave s-"

"Wait, I'm sorry. Garroth?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Would you mind telling me his last name?"

"It's Ro'Meave."

"Nevermind, I see a reason..." Then, she added more detail to the story.

Thanks for reading!