-7-

Julia didn't contact me again for a couple of days. When she finally did, I had finally started classes. My students seemed to like me well enough. They responded well to my projects and laughed when I made jokes. The school ended up also keeping me on for a few history classes since one of the history teacher's went on maternity leave during the winter holidays, so I was kept plenty busy. The teachers also liked me and treated me well. Although, It was weird going into the teachers lounge and talking to the teachers I once had as peers. Mr.Max was kind enough to be there to walk me through my first day, but was unable to stay for the rest of the week.

"Thank you for staying late to make sure everything's in order for me, sir. I really appreciate this."

"Of course, Miss Blue. Anything for my star pupil." He smiled at me while instructing me on how to set up my computer. "So, how have these last few years treated you?"

"Great, actually! I've just been working and studying as much as I could. I'm actually living with an old friend from high school. Remember Lucinda?"

"Ah, yes! And how is she?"

"She's great! She actually owns her own business now."

"Wow! Good for her!"

"Yeah!"

"And how's your Laurance doing?"

I swallowed as he finished up. "Oh. We actually broke up a few years ago."

"Did you?" He turned to me, shocked. "I'm so sorry! I had no idea."

"It's fine. It was a while ago."

"I just have a tendency to know when a couple is going to make it or not, and I thought that for sure you two were it."

"Well, turns out that college changed us a little, too much." He stood up. "Everything done and good?"

"Yes, ma'am." He gave me a fatherly sort of smile. "Now, don't hesitate to reach out for anything. But I don't think you'll need to. You're very talented and very prepared."

"Thank you, Mr.Max."

"Ah!" He waved that away. "For the last time, it's just Max now! You've earned it."

"Well, thank you, Max!"

"It is my genuine pleasure. Now, I must be off. My husband is waiting for me at home to leave on our trip."

"Have fun, sir." I waved at him until he left the room. I sat back in my chair and looked around the room. This was it. I finally made it. I was so happy that I didn't even check the caller ID when I felt it buzz. "Hi, Leona here."

"Um... hello." I recognized the voice immediately. It was the lady from the voicemail. I sat up straight. "T-this is... Julia. Sorry I haven't called you back sooner. I'll admit. I was very nervous."

"I- um... I understand." An awkward silence followed.

"Well... If you're interested I'd like to take you out for coffee or something."

"I-" I took a deep breath. "I'd like that."

"Really? Great!" Her voice sounded relieved. "I had thought you wanted nothing to do with me, since you didn't call after eighteen years."

"Yeah, uh. That's a long story. We can talk about it when we meet."

-

"Your mother? Why didn't you tell me?" Lucinda screeched when I told her that night.

"I've just been trying to process it. I told Katelyn, but that's it." I was tying my shoelaces on the couch. "But I'm getting coffee with her on Wednesday after I'm done at school."

"Wow... Wow. You will tell me everything!"

"Yeah, I will. Anyways, I'm going for a run now. I'll be back in a bit."

"Okay. The food will be here by the time you get back."

"Sounds good." I closed the door behind me after pressing shuffle on Taylor Swift, and took off immediately. Running always cleared my head and I really needed to do that right now. How would I do it? How would I talk to the woman who gave me up twenty-three years ago? And, apparently I had half siblings? I just needed to take some time to not think about it for a bit. After running for about 10 minutes, Call It What You Want came on. Ugh! By clear my head, I did not mean to fill it with another problem. As I was fumbling with my phone to skip it, I ran into someone. "Oh! So sorry, I wasn't paying attention!"

"No, it was me, I'm so-" We looked up. Just. My. Luck. "... sorry."

I took a step back, away from Laurance. "It was both of us. It was no one's fault."

"Uh, yeah. Sounds good." I nodded and started turning around before he stopped me. "Wait, Leona. I-I don't want things to be weird between us. I mean, we're friends with the same people. We're bound to run into each other a lot or end up hanging out together."

"You're right." I gave a small smile. "Let's just start over." I stuck out my hand. "Hi, I don't think we've met. I'm Leona, I think we live on the same street?"

He had a blank face for a second, but then smiled and played along, shaking my hand. "I think you're right, neighbor! I'm Laurance! Let me know if you need anything." My hand burned where his hand touched mine.

"Same, here! Nice to meet you!"

"You, too!" I turned towards my house. "Anyways, I've gotta get back to my run and get home. See you later?"

"Yeah, I have to finish mine, too. Later." I took off towards the house and he ran off in the opposite direction.  Maybe running into him wasn't such a bad thing. At least that's one thing off my mind. I'd just need to keep my guard up and make sure that I wouldn't get hurt again. I could do that.

Right?

Thanks for reading!