-15-

On Christmas Eve Eve, as the locals called it, they'd have an annual barn dance. It was a big deal for everyone in the area, from children to the elderly, there was stuff for everyone to do. And Cadenza was making sure I was going and going in style. That's how I found myself in town with Cadenza and Kelly, which she recently told me to call her. Laurance and Mr. Zvahl went, too, but they were looking at another store, against Cadenza's pleas. She was going to look for clothes for them, later, but for now she was focusing on us three. As we shuffled through the racks, we discussed the baby.

"Do you know the gender, yet?" I asked, looking at a flannel.

Cadenza grabbed it from my hands and put it away. "That color will wash you out. And no. They're waiting till it comes out. You'll need to dress for warmer temps since the barn will be hot inside."

Kelly held a long, gingham dress to her chest. "Robert has some more old fashioned views on things like this, which makes since with our age difference, but I'm more traditional, anyway, so I agreed with him."

"Do you two have names picked out then?"

She put the dress back when Cadenza shook her head at her choice. "Yes, Lauren for a girl and Caleb for a boy."

Cadenza shoved a handful of clothes in my hands. "Ooo! Good names!"

"Go try those on." Cadenza instructed me. As much as I like my own style, Cadenza was talented in finding what fit someone well. Besides, it was fun watching her get in this focused headspace. I walked to the dressing room and pulled the curtain closed. I quickly put on a strapless denim romper and stepped out of the room. Cadenza made a noise then shook her head, causing me to turn around and go back in. This night had better be worth it, because I hate shopping for clothes. 

"So, what exactly is there to do at the barn dance?" I asked as I stepped out, again.

"Hmm, no." Cadenza pointed at the dressing room, again. "Well, the families come early and eat and the kids go and play outside. When it gets a little later, the teens and young adults start the two-stepping. At that point, liquor starts being served. There's stuff for everyone."

"It's one of my favorite traditions we have." Kelly said from the room next to mine. Apparently Cadenza had finally given her some stuff to try on.

After a few more round of outfit changes, Kelly had found hers, and I was tired. "Come on, one more." Cadenza slipped me one more option under the curtain. "I have a good feeling about this one."

I grabbed it from her hand. "Fine." I slipped it on and stepped out of the dressing room.

Cadenza's face lit up. "Yes! That's it."

"You look great, Leona! You'll be turning heads for sure in that."

I turned and looked at myself in the mirror. It makes them happy, so why not?

-

Christmas Eve Eve was only a few days after. The morning of the dance, everyone left to take care of something in town. That is, everyone but me and Laurance. I had thought that everyone had left, so I headed downstairs in my pjs, which were just comfortable shorts and a loose sports bra. My hair down, slightly covering my glasses. I walked downstairs and rubbed my eyes to see Laurance standing in the kitchen pouring a bowl of cereal. "Oh. Sorry, I thought no one was home."

"No, you're fine." But he swallowed and turned pink. We awkwardly stood there for a second, me trying to subtly cover myself, until he took a step forward, pulling off his sweatshirt. "Here."

"Thanks." I slipped it on, which caused his amazing smell to wash over me. It made me light headed, but I tried to play it off. "I appreciate it."

He look at me closely. "You've always looked good in glasses."

I forced my eyes down. "Um, thanks." I walked past him to the fridge and opened it. I heard him sigh behind me.

"Leona, I-I can't fight this anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"Leona... Leo." I lost my breath. "Please look at me."

I slowly turned and faced him. His hands were shoved in his pockets, his eyes brutally honest. The way he was standing reminded me of the time he stood before me in a similar way nine years before. When he won me over in my backyard at my birthday party. Irene, he could drown me in his amazing blue eyes. "I told you not to call me that." I whispered.

"I can't continue being friends with you without you knowing how I feel."

"Laurance-"

"No, please. Let me finish." I bit my lip to try and hold the tears back. "I tried to get over you, I really did. But since you've come back into my life I can't seem to get you out of my head. Leo, I'm still in love with you. And if you don't feel the same, we don't have to mention this ever again. I'll just get over you as best I can."

"Laurance, I can't. I'm... so sorry."

His eyes turned even sadder. Irene... "Is it because of Garroth?"

"What? We've already been over this. No, it isn't."

"Look, if you two are together, that's completely fine. I just wish one of you told me. Preferably before he took you home to meet his family."

"Laurance, listen to me. Me and Garroth aren't together. In fact, that would be incredibly weird if we were."

He paused and gave me a quizzical look. "What? Why would it be weird?"

"I-" I looked away and rubbed my forehead. "Nevermind."

"No, please, tell me."

"Laur-"

He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes. "Leo?" Shit. I could never resist him when he called me that. "Please let me know what's going on."

I slowly took a breath. "He's my brother, Laurance."

He blinked. "He's... what?"

"He's my brother. I recently got in contact with my mom. We've been meeting weekly. During one of our meetings, she let me know that Garte was my dad. Dinner the other night was me and Garroth talking to his dad, but... It didn't really end well." I looked down. "He doesn't want anything to do with me."

"Leo, I'm so sorry. That's so tough."

I looked back up at him. "There might not be anything between Garroth and me, but we still can't be together."

"W-why not?"

The hurt in his voice destroyed me, but I needed to do this. "I'm a mess right now, Laurie- Laurance." Damn it, that just slipped out. "You're way too good for me. I screwed us up last time. I made you have reason not to trust me. I won't let you get hurt, again. It's better this way." With that, I walked out of the kitchen.

I'd lost my appetite.

Thanks for reading!