-14-

I walked downstairs after Cadenza texted me. Mr. and Mrs. Zvahl were taking out plates and filling glasses while Cadenza and Laurance set the table. I walked into the kitchen and Mrs. Zvahl looked up at the sound of my footsteps. "Oh, Leona! It's so nice to finally meet you!" She and Mr. Zvahl had married after Laurance and I had broken up. She handed her plates to her husband and walked over to me, hands on her bulging stomach. "You look so nice!"

I tugged at the creme cardigan that was over my cropped tank top and blue jeans. Jeans were always hard for me to find. Either the wait would fit or the leg length would be right. Never both. So I always ended up getting the right waist size and cuffing the ends of the jeans. "Thank you! And thank you for allowing me to stay here with y'all."

"Of course, anytime!" She gave me a cute and shy smile as she walked back to the counter. "Anyways, I forgot to ask earlier, but do you have any food allergies or preferences?"

"No, I eat pretty much anything, thank you!" She gestured to the table, where Laurance and Cadenza had finished and were sitting there together.

"I hope you like pizza." Cadenza took a sip of her water. "Because this place in town makes the best."

"Great." Mr. Zvahl put the pizza box on the table and we all immediately dug in. Dinner was filled with laughter and fun conversation. That was much needed after the previous night's dinner party. Their family welcomed me in with open arms and treated me kindly. After dinner was done, we all went to the living room to play some games before Mrs. Zvahl needed to go to bed. Me, Laurance, and Cadenza stayed up for a bit longer before heading to bed. When I crawled into bed that night, I felt warm and happy. That was something that I really needed.

-

I woke up happy and well rested the next morning. When I looked in the mirror, my eye bags had been reduced drastically. As I applied my moisturizer, my phone buzzed. I unplugged it from the charger and saw that Garroth texted me again. He's been texting me all day yesterday, but I needed to unplug from the situation for while. I took a deep breath and opened his texts.

G: Hey, Leona. Sorry about what happened last night. I overreacted. I just couldn't take my father anymore. He knew what he was doing.

G: How are you doing?

G: Were you able to get something to eat when you got home?

G: My dad keeps texting me. I'm trying to avoid him, but her really wants to talk. Would you want me to give him your contacts information if he wants to contact you?

G: Leona, please respond. i'm worried about you.

G: Hey, just checking in. Are you okay? Can I bring you anything?

I sighed. It wasn't his fault. I shouldn't punish him.

L: sorry i didn't reply earlier. i just needed a break. you're totally okay for the other night. i'm sure i would've responded similarly. i'd be fine if you gave him my number. just wait a bit before you do so, and not unless he asks for it. i'm at Laurance's family's house for a bit, so i don't need anything. thanks Garroth. you're a really good friend.

G: I completely forgot! Sorry. He hasn't asked for it yet, but I'm sure he will soon.

Please? A family man like that? Information like that could ruin his reputation. I doubt he'll be the one to contact me. More likely, his wife will make him.

I couldn't bother him with that, though.

L: yeah, i agree. anyways,  i'll probably be a little MIA for a bit. i need a little break from everything, so i won't be responding much.