-11-

"Thanks, guys! Have a great Christmas break!" The kids filed out the door, chattering excitedly after the bell rang. I turned around and began stacking papers. That is, until I heard a voice behind me.

"Well, that seemed to love you."

I twisted back to face him. "Laurance! What are you doing here?"

He stood at the door, hands awkwardly in his pockets. SOmething about how he was standing was incredibly endearing. "Well, I-I just... Can't I just visit a friend?"

"You can, but that's not why you're here. What is it?" I leaned back on the desk, arms crossed, a playful look on my face.

He took a few steps forward. "Well... I don't know if Cadenza told you about recent developments to the farm trip."

"No, is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine. It's just-" He cleared his throat. "Well."

"Wow, you're never this nervous. Are you sure nothing's the matter?"

He shook himself off. "Yeah, yeah. I'll be there now, too."

"Oh." My heart skipped a beat.

"So, in order to save gas, I thought that we could ride together?"

My heart beat faster. "Yeah. That makes since. Sounds good." How does he still have this effect on me?

He took another step closer. "So... What are you doing tonight?"

"Going to Garroth's for dinner with his family." I brushed my hair from my face.

"Oh." He looked at me with his clear blue eyes, making me feel like diving right into them.

"'Oh' what?"

"Nothing. Didn't realize you are Garroth were like that."

"Like what?" I furrled my eyebrows and gave him a confused look.

"You know, together."

I paused and started to laugh. "You're crazy! It's nothing like that."

"Then what is it?"

I opened my mouth and hesitated. I couldn't tell him. At least not yet. I turned and faced my desk. "Nothing."

"Please you said that about us, too."

"Except this time I mean it."

"I don't believe you. At least not on his side."

His voice sounded closer. I turned again and found him towering over me. There were a mere inches between us. My breathing became shallow. Oh my Irene, please save me. "L-Laurie?" Shit, that slipped out.

He gave me an incredibly attractive concentrated look. He touched my hand gently with his pinkie. "Uh huh." He was studying me closely.

"Umm..." I couldn't think straight. His clean, woodsy smell engulfed me and drove me mad. Will he always have this effect on me? He slowly came closer and I did nothing to stop him. I should. But I didn't. I know that he deserves better than me, but he was like a drug. One little taste of him and I was hooked, again. Our lips got dangerously close, nearly brushing each other. The energy between us was quickly turning electric. Thankfully, my phone went off right then. I quickly grabbed it and answered it, walking a few feet away from him. With my free hand, I covered my blushing cheek. "Hey Garroth!"

"H-hey, Leona, you good? You sound all funny?"

"I'm fine! Just distracted. Your call scared me." I snuck a glance at Laurance, who couldn't take his eyes off of me. "What is it?"

"I was just seeing if you're almost home. I'm about ready to go."

"I'm sorry. To what?"

He took a pause. "Dinner?'

"Oh, right! Sorry, I forgot for a second. Yeah, I'm heading home soon." I walked back to my desk and scooped some stuff into my bag. "Bye!" I hung up and refused to look back at Laurance.

"Leo-"

"Please don't call me that."

"But-"

"No. Please. Stop." I clutched the strap of my bag tightly. "We... are a mistake. We can't happen, again."

He blinked. "What?"

"We both got burned last time. I can't go through that again. I'm sorry, but that's what I think is best."

"Please, Leona-"

"Anyways, I have to go, so if you wouldn't mind leaving the classroom." I gestured to the open door. "I need to lock up. See you in the morning?"

His mouth gaped open, but after a moment he nodded and left. Thank Irene he did, because I don't think I would've been able to fight it.

-

When I got out of my car at home, Garroth was already there. "Hey! I thought I said that I'd let you know when I got home?"

"You did, but I was already here and didn't feel like walking back."

"That's completely fair. Let me change real quick and I'll be ready!"

"Great." We walked into the house and Lucinda was watching something on the television , Bigglesworth sleeping contently on his perch behind her. "Hey, Lucinda>"

"Hey Garroth." She turned the volume down. "What's going on?" I didn't hear his response because I had shut my door. I picked out what I wanted to wear last night, but now it didn't feel right. Do I wear a dress? Or is that too much? But I feel like a blouse is too casual. I quickly went through my closet before settling on a green tank top under one of my nice cardigans with a creme pair of pants. When I finally made my way downstairs, Lucinda was handing a nervous looking Garroth something.

"Hey, what's going on here?"

"Garroth was about to try my new potion."

"No."

"But he said it was okay."

"Does he know what it does?"

"Yes!"

I looked at him. "N-no..." His face turned pink.

"Spoil sport." Lucinda sat back down on the couch. "So, what are the two of you doing?"

"I'm going to his parents' for dinner."

"Wooowww. So, you you are like a proper couple now?"

"No." I turned and faced Garroth. "I really wish people would stop assuming that. This is the second time today."

"When was the first?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

I wasn't going to talk about this with him. "Doesn't matter. Let's go. See you later, Luci!" I called on the way out.

When we got to the car, Garroth started it then looked at me seriously. "You ready for this?"

Truly, is anyone ever really ready for this? The answer was screaming inside me, NO! Absolutely not! "As I'll ever be."

Thanks for reading!