-20-

Well. Here we are. In the hospital, again. Only, this time the feeling was a good one. A new member was about to be added to their family! It wasn't too long until the nurse let us come back to visit the mother and her baby. Although I tried to let just them go in first, they insisted that I came with them. She looked tired but happy when we came in. Hayden was with her, since he was with her during the whole process. She sat up holding a little bundle in her arms while Hayden gazed lovingly at the two of them with his hand on her shoulder. She looked up from the baby in her arms when she heard us walk in the room and spoke in a soft whisper.

"Hey, guys. Come meet Caleb Lester."

We all walked over quietly and peered at the adorable little boy in her arms. Cadenza bent over and touched his little hand with her finger. "He's precious. Hello, little Caleb. I'm your big sister, Cadenza."

As she picked him up, I realized that he looked exactly like his father. And, although I knew that Laurence was adopted, somehow he looked just like him as well. Caleb gave us a huge yawn as he stretched, never opening his eyes. She bounced him softly for a minute before she looked up at Laurence. "Do you wanna hold him?"

He was mesmerized by his little brother as he took him from her. He held him close and I stepped closer to him, lightly placing my hand on his shoulder as I got a closer look. He was absolutely perfect. I heard the click of a camera and looked up. Cadenza was taking pictures of us and, later when she showed them to me, the three of us looked like the perfect family. 

I was looking at that photo when I was driving home about a week later. The mother and child came home soon after and both were healthy and happy. Laurence and I just spent the rest of our time working on the farm and relaxing with his family. The whole time there it just felt like I... fit, you know? Everything just felt right. It may have started as a bit of a wreak, but it quickly all came together. I felt a hand rest on my knee and I put my phone away. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" Laurence said. As he kept his eyes on the road, his thumb absentmindedly stroked my  knee, making me shiver. 

I placed my hand over his. "Just thinking about the trip."

"Really?" His eyebrows scrunched up a bit. "Are you sure that's all you're thinking about?"

I honestly hadn't given much thought to the situation that was waiting for me back home. I know I should have, but it was just such a mess that I didn't want to deal with it until I absolutely had to. I patted his hand. "It's all I want to think about."

He responded by rubbing my hand with his thumb. "I know this was a break for you, but it's about time to come back to the real world." He brought my hand up to his mouth and kissed it. "Don't worry, I'm here for you. But I think it's time to turn off do not disturb."

I nodded and hesitantly switched it back on. My phone immediately blew up with texts and notifications. The older ones seemed concerned and a few unsaved numbers were alarmed and sent many questions. As I scrolled to the more current texts, they sent more condolences and encouragement. I clicked Katelyn's contact and paused before typing out a message.

Hey, Katy. I'm almost home. See you soon.

I then sent a similar message to Lucinda and Garroth before turning it over, again. "There. I took a step in that direction."

"Good job. We'll be there soon. Do you have a game plan?"

"No. Not really. I figured that I'd see whoever came first, but I don't want to see Mr. Ro'Meave yet."

"And you don't have to. We don't have to deal with that for awhile." I tried to hide my smile, but he saw it. "Why're you smiling?"

"We. You said we."

-

When we pulled up to the house, Laurence stepped out with me and grabbed two of my bags. As soon as one of my feet touched the cement, Lucinda came out of the house. 

"Leo! You're back!" She slammed against me, engulfing me with a hug. She quickly pulled back though, holding me at arms length. "Are you okay? You had all of us worried!"

"I'm fine now, I promise. I just needed a break from everything- everyone."

"Without warning though? What exactly happened?"

"Wait, Katelyn or Garroth didn't tell you?"

She gave me a quizzical look. "No. Katelyn I get, but why does Garroth know?"

"It's a long story. Can we-" I gestured towards the house.

"Right, sure." We walked in and Laurence looked around. 

"Where should I put your bags?"

"Can you take them to my room?"

"Of course I can."

I put my hand on his arm, giving him a small rub and a sweet smile. "Thanks, babe."

He smiled his adorable half smile. "Of course." He walked upstairs and I turned back to Lucinda, who was obviously trying to stay cool and not react, but was failing miserably. 

"Oh, yeah, we're back together."

"YOU DIDN'T START WITH THAT?"

"Hey, you're the one who immediately bombarded me with questions."

"Okay, that one's my bad, but y'all are back together?!"

I saw two figures walking up the path to the house. "Yeah. I'll explain it all later. You're about to hear all about what happened."

Thanks for reading!