-10-

For the next few months, me and Garroth hung out as much as we could. On top of him being one of my best friends, we also needed to figure out what to do about the situation.When I wasn't hanging out with him, I was meeting with Julia. I had told her that I told Garroth the truth during one of our weekly coffee meetings, and she didn't appreciate my decision but she accepted it. We spent our time together just learning more about one another. We had more in common than I had thought. We were both sports players in high school and were planning on studying education in college. Unfortunately, her parents made her study business because it was the best chance of a high paying job. He had high expectations for her, which was hard for her, but she likes where she is now. She got married a few years after she had me to the person that she considered to be her soulmate and had to kids with him. But, five years ago he got into an accident at work and it killed him. He was a firefighter and passed while saving a child from a burning building. Thankfully, the child made it. It only had a concussion from when he threw it to safety.

Although she recognized that things would never be "normal" with us, she was quickly becoming a close friend of mine, almost like a mentor. Along with telling me more about myself and my biological family, she was helping me understand other parts of myself. One time, the topic of relationships came up and I made the mistake of mentioning Laurance. After digging for most of the details between us, she sat back and crossed her arms with a knowing smile. "What?" I furrled my eyebrows. "What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Please, I know that look. That's the look my friend Nicole gives me when she knows something I don't."

"It's just the two of you."

"Who? Me and Laurance?"

She nodded. "Most people only dream of that kind of love. You two found it."

"Found what? He was my first heartbreak. There's nothing between us, now."

She leaned forward a little. "Yes, but you've both grown and matured. You've realized your mistakes and have learned from them. I'm sure he's the same now, if you're sister is friends with him, based on what you've told me about her. In my experience, people are brought into your life for a reason. He's back. This is likely you two's second chance. Don't waste it."

"It's not, I swear." I looked away. "I messed up and fumbled big time. I broke his trust. That's something that's hard to earn back. Plus, I'm finally over it. If we start something, again, and it goes wrong, I don't think I could handle that, again. It's better this way."

"If that's what you really believe, then okay-"

"It is."

"-But I sense that there's more to it. You don't really think that. I hope you figure that out before it's too late."

I was already too late. Five year too late.

Laurance's POV

I couldn't get anything done. I sat at my desk, trying to type out an email to my boss, but nothing would happen. On top of dealing with the fact that Garroth and Leona were obviously dating now, I also found out that my stepmom and father were pregnant. Them and Cadenza were begging me to go and spend time with them on the farm. Although I knew that would probably be best for my mental health, I just couldn't bring myself to ask off work and make my way down there. I felt a buzz in my pocket, drawing me out of my thoughts. I pressed answer on my phone. "Hey, 'Denza."

"Hey, Laurance!" Cadenza answered. "Do you have anymore thoughts about visiting, soon?"

"I don't know."

"Come on. I haven't seen you in months. And for dad it's been even longer."

"I know. I just have a lot going on here. I can't just pick up and leave."

"You can and you will." She took a breath and lowered his voice. "Look. I was instructed not to say this, but Dad hasn't been feeling well recently. He's doing well enough right now, but he's tired. He hasn't had a break in forever. If you come out, it gives him that opportunity."

"What? Why did he never say anything?" He'd always been there for me, why wouldn't he let me return the favor?

"You know dad. He never wants to admit that he needs help. And he didn't want you to feel obligated to come out. He wanted you to want to."

"That sounds like dad." I shifted the phone to sit in between my cheek and shoulder as I began typing. "Okay, I'll make my way out for Christmas. I'll spend a month there."

"Yay! Perfect! Wait... Like, during Christmas break time?"

"Yeah. Is there something wrong with that?"

"No! No, it's just... Are you okay if Leo's here?"

My heart lurched. "Leo? But she has family here? Why would she be coming to the farm?"

"Her family's going out of town to visit her grandparents that count her as a 'real grandchild' so I gave her another option."

I remembered them. Foul old hags. "I don't blame her. They were always unbearable."

"So, you're okay with that?"

"Of course. I'd be an asshole to feel differently."

"No, whatever you feel is valid. I know she was really special to you." Still is. "Thanks for being so understanding, Laurance. Ahh! I can't wait to see you!"

I pressed send on my email. "You, too."

Leona's POV

"Hey, can I run something by you?"

"Sure, what's up?" I put my phone down and looked at Garroth. It was just another Saturday and we were hanging out in his room. Christmas break would be here in a week, so we wouldn't see each other for awhile.

"I know you probably won't want to, but-"

"Oh yeah, that's a good way to start your sentence." I laughed before he threw a pillow at me.

"Shut up. Anyways, my family is having family dinner next weekend before you leave for out of town. Would you be interested in joining me?"

"Wait." I shook my head. "What? Is that even a good idea?"

"I mean, I for one want answers. But since this involves you, too, I wanted you to come with me. So?"

I hesitated. "I don't know Garroth. That might not turn out well."

"I know. I know! But," He took a deep breath. "I just want to know why he's lied to us all these years. I want to know if my mom knows. But, obviously I'd talk to him in private, first. I won't just drop that on the whole family.I just feel like you should be there."

I studied his face. "You really want me to be there?"

"Yes. Please."

"If you want me to come that bad, fine. I'll go. But I'll leave if it starts getting bad."

"Completely fair. Thanks, Leona!"

"Whatever. Don't mention it." I began playing with my nose ring. "So, what do you want to watch?"

Thanks for reading!