-17-

I woke up groggy the next morning. I stretched out in unfamiliar sheets and smiled as I remembered last night's events. I turned and snuggled up next to the handsome man to my right. I felt him stirr next to me. He sighed loudly then his eyes cracked opened and smiled slyly. "Good morning."

I gave him a peck on his chin as he put his arm around me. "Good morning, Zvahl." I scrunched up my nose. "Your breath stinks."

"Does it?" He started micheviousally blowing in my face. "How? Give me specifics."

"Hey! Hey, stop!" I giggled and attempted to push his face away. He grabbed the arm that I was pushing him with and pulled it away. He gave me a loved filled look and kissed me deeply. Although his breath was awful, I couldn't help but accept it readily. We'd missed out on so many of these moments that I felt like I needed all of these little scenes. He pulled away and held me close to him tightly. "So, does your family have any Christmas Eve traditions?"

"Well, we open one gift tonight, we decorate cookies, and we watch The Polar Express. What about you?" He kissed my temple. "I know you're not with your family, but we all want to make you feel at home while you're here."

"Hmm..." I snuggled closer to him. "We don't really have many. My dad was always working to make a little extra money on Christmas Eve for our presents when we were young, so me and my siblings always had frozen pizza and just played video games. When dad had a more steady and better paying job, he was finally able to stay home with us but we started making homemade pizzas together and watching various Christmas movies while we ate. It wasn't much different than before."

"That sounds nice."

"It was. It wasn't very traditional, but it fit our little family very well."

"Well," Laurance flipped us around so that he was on top and I was under him. I smiled and bit my bottom lip. "You fit into my family very well, I hope you know that."

"Oh? Do I?" I feigned ignorance.

"Absolutely." He started planting a line of soft kisses on my neck. "They love you."

"That's great. I love them."

He murmured deeply into my throat. "And so do I."

"Do you?" My head rolled back. "I hadn't noticed."

He pulled back a very short distance and gave me a devil-ish sort of grin. "I'll prove it to you, if you'd like."

I squealed as he kissed me. I felt him smile as our teeth tapped against each other. He twisted a little so that he was on top up me but still under the sheets. I was grinning big as I ran my hands up his chest. Suddenly, the door opened and Cadenza stood at the doorway. Unfortunately, I realized that neither of us were wearing anything. And I mean anything. Fortunately, his sheets covered us up appropriately. "Laurance, I- Oh... Nevermind. Carry on." She closed the door behind her. 

We looked at each other, then burst out laughing, my head burying into his chest. I felt my cheeks burning. "She probably came to wake me up. If she's awake, then I'm probably late."

"Noo..." I hugged him. "Stay!"

"I wish I could." He kissed my cheek. "But unfortunately, farm work waits for no one."

After I playfully begged him for a bit longer, I let him get up and get ready and did the same for myself, taking one of his sweatshirts to wear. After, I knocked on Cadenza's door. "Come in." I walked in where she was working on a sweater-like patchwork top.

"Hey."

"Hey!" She set down her pin cushion. "So. You have something to tell me?"

I started playing with some fabric in the corner. "Umm... possibly."

"How long has it been happening?" She grabbed my hands and pulled me to sit on the bed.

"Just last night! I mean, we've had some moments, but I've always pushed him away. I probably would've continued doing that, but he made it very clear that he wasn't going to let me continue doing that."

"Oh my Irene, Leona! That's so exciting!" She clapped. "I knew you two were going to work things out eventually. Thank Irene that it didn't take you two long to figure it out."

"Actually, it was mostly him. If it had been up to me, we probably wouldn't be together right now."

"Well, good to know my brother finally did something right. And you're good?"

"Yes. I hate to think that I'm dragging him into the mess that's my life right now, but he's made it clear that he wants to be here with me."

"Everyone's lives have those moments, dear." Cadenza patted my hand and gave me an almost motherly smile. "It just matters how you work through them and who you go through them with."

I hit her with one of her pillows. "That was so insanely cheesy!"

"It's true, though!" She stood up. "Anyways, ready to go gather the eggs? I have a little something for the two of you when we're done."

"Why can't you gave me it now?"

"Because how else am I going to get you outside after having such an exciting and event filled morning." She winked at me. "Now, lets go."

-

I put on Cadenza's gift that night before the festivities started. It was a chunky white sweater with green details and designs. I messed with it until it looked right, slightly tucked into my patchwork jeans, and turned to pick up my gifts for the family to bring downstairs. I heard a knock on the door and Laurance walked in, wearing the other part of the gift. His sweater was just like mine, but the colors were swapped on his.

"Well, you look nice." I ran my hands up his chest and let them rest on the back of his neck. "You clean up pretty well."

"Hmm." He kissed the top of my head. "You look really great in my sweater." He leaned towards my ear and lowered his voice. "I can't wait to take it off you later."

"Bold of you to assume I'll let you." I grinned coyly and walked away from him. Before he could get another comment in, his step mom walked in, hands supporting her back. "Are you okay, Mrs. Zvahl?"

"Oof, yes ma'am. This baby's just gettin' a little heavy. And it's Kelly, dear, please."

"Do you need any help with dinner? I can make it and you can sit down, if that's better for you?"

"Would you mind?" I nodded. "Okay, there's a chicken that's already prepared to put in the oven and green beans in the fridge. All you'll have to do is make mashed potatoes and biscuits. There's recipe cards in the box, but Laurance can help you, too, if he's not busy. Thank you so much, hon."

"Of course, I'm happy to do it!" I smiled and got to work, taking the ingredients from the fridge. After she left the room to walk to the couch, Laurance planted a kiss on my forehead before grabbing the stuff in the pantry. We worked together well. We would occasionally brush up against each other and smile when it happened. I don't know if his was intentional, but mine definitely were. We put everything in the oven then went outside while it cooked. I had made a cup of tea and followed him around while he checked on the animals. When the timer that I had set on my phone went off, we walked back. I was laughing at some stupid joke Laurance made when Cadenza suddenly burst out the door. 

"Denza, what is it?" Laurance asked, a confused look on his face.

"I-it's Kelly." She panted out.

"Is it the baby?" I gasped.

She shook her head. "No. It's something else. We've got to get to the hospital. Now!"

Thanks for reading!