Chapter 3

Chapter Three- Dragon Riders

The two men, with Daegan's guardsmen and entourage behind them, galloped through the villages of Augustia. Daegan waved to his people, smiling as they called after him, "Long live the Summer King!" and waved black flags with the sunset symbol emblazoned across them.

"I see a lot of flags, Dowan." Daegan remarked, as each house or shop they passed proved to have at least one sunset flag hanging above the door.

"Yes, it would seem news of impending war has reached the people, and they're showing their support."

"It's already reached the people?" Daegan asked, concerned. "I've only just heard of it myself! I don't want my people to begin to worry now."

"Perhaps it's a good thing, My King. You can know now how many supporters you'll have."

"Meaning? Wouldn't all my people be my supporters?"

"You forget, Sire," Dowan reminded, leading Daegan down the busy shop roads, "your cousin will have the support of the witches. All of the witches, even those in the other kingdoms."

"Then shouldn't I be marrying someone who has ties across all the realms?"

"That was my initial thought as well, but then I talked to the Dragon Riders. They are large families with many, many beasts. No matter how many witches your cousin calls to his aid, we'll have as many Riders and dragons. And if you consider it, one dragon could be worth ten, even twenty, men. We'll be stronger than some covens of witches," Dowan smiled at Daegan, "don't you worry."

Daegan tried to smile back, but he was finding it hard to be his usual cheerful self today. He had received too much news at once, important news that would've been shattering given to him separately. But given all at once, Daegan felt his mind had exploded and there was a huge, jumbled mess in his head.

"Whoah, whoah." Dowan called to his horse, pulling him to the right to go towards a considerably large mansion. It was all dark stone and marble, no wood in sight. "To keep from causing fires." Dowan explained, noticing Daegan's analysis.

Daegan and his advisor got out of their saddles and stretched their legs as a middle-aged man with practically white -yellow hair and cheerful blue eyes approached them. He was large, with strong, taut muscles still evident in his older age. His hands were chapped and blistered, some burns evident on his arms, and his face and neck were sunkissed.

"Your Majesty," the man bowed. His voice was raspy, but lilting like a song as well. "Welcome to our humble abode."

"I thank you," Daegan replied, "Sir Duff, I presume?"

"You presume correctly, Your Grace. Our clan is quite honored for your visit today. And, of course, for the alliance we hope to forge with His Majesty." The man was polite, but he spoke his mind. Daegan decided he liked that.

"Sir!" A young man cried, running up to the head of the Duff clan. "I've done the inventory, and we only have enough meat to last the rest of the week. Should I put the order in with the butchers tomorrow?"

"That can be taken care of later. But right now, bow to your king, young man!" Sir Duff pushed the boy, who seemed to be about twenty years old at most, forward to face Daegan. He was a handsome, muscular youth, with a ruffled and tangled caramel mane and almond-shaped hazel eyes. Those eyes now opened in shock and embarrassment as the boy bowed low before Daegan.

"Forgive me, My Liege, I did not know."

"It's quite alright. Is he your boy, Sir Duff?" Would this be my future brother by law? Is what Daegan really wondered.