six | closer

My lips twitched into forming a smile when I checked my phone that day and saw Eros's reply.

'Wait until I get back to town. I will kick their arses for you!'

After I sent him a quick reply telling him to come back sooner, I slid my phone inside the pocket of my jacket and walked to my locker. After what had happened earlier with Ryker, I went home and pretended that I had not just seen a naked man turned into a large, hairy wolf. My phone chimed again, and I pulled it out. It was a text from Davina. She texted me saying that she felt much better now that she had had enough rest and chicken soup. I texted her back, telling her how boring my day was without her, and hit the send button just as I arrived at the convenience store across the street.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could feel people starting to crowd around me and I instantly knew trouble was coming when I heard Cindy, who used to be the head of the cheerleaders' voice, calling my name. "Xyrra, so tell us, how does it feel to be a home wrecker? Do you feel accomplished, slut?"

I did my best to ignore her, walking down the aisle to where I could find the things I needed. The sooner I got them and checked out at the cashier, the better.

Like the bully she was, Cindy kept following me around. "Are you deaf? I am talking to you!"

Right before her hand aimed for my face, I took a quick step back, causing her to lose her balance and stumble forward.

"You bitch!" she yelled, straightening up.

"What the hell is your problem?" I carefully took a step back, away from her and her crazy eyes.

"You and your slutty friend are my problems!" Cindy yelled, her nose was flaring.

I frowned. What did my friend have anything to do with what had happened yesterday? "Davina?"

"That's right! You two can't keep your hands from other people's boyfriends! First, she took my boyfriend and got herself pregnant, and then you," her manicured nail pointed directly at me as she spat her next words, "You broke my cousin's heart by snatching his friend's fiancé, and yet you still dare to show your face around here. Have you no shame?!"

Only when Cindy said it out loud that it finally registered to my brain who that blonde guy from the club last week had been. I had vaguely remembered seeing his face back at the club and now I knew where I had seen him. He had come to Cindy's birthday party two months ago. Since Brett was Cindy's cousin, he automatically was invited and he had brought me along with him.

"Look, I have told Brett, Alana, and everyone at the wedding that I have no relationship with the groom," I tried explaining, even though deep down I knew it was pointless.

"Yeah right! I saw with my own two eyes what you and he did today. You both entered that abandoned building near the parking lot. You've done him in there, haven't you?" Cindy shook her head and spat on the floor. "So disgusting! It makes me sick. You make me sick, whore!"

I quickly recalled that Cindy had been at the cafe earlier. She must've seen naked Ryker and me coming out of that building and followed me here. Naturally, she brought her followers, a bunch of cheerleaders and jocks who forgot that school was over. Cindy grabbed a styrofoam cup from another student nearby and then threw its content on me and I jumped back, trying to avoid it, however, the person who was standing behind me must have pushed me because the next thing I knew, my body was being thrown forward and my face was nearly flat on the wetted floor. "Slut!"

Everyone around me started calling me slut. The girls were even throwing things at me while the guys laughed at how pathetic I must have looked.

"The next thing either one of you thinks about stealing someone else's boyfriend, think again!" Cindy looked down at me and spat. Her spit came so close to contact with my face.