(d) thirty

"What should we do with the body?" Eros glanced down at Blair's body then as if it was too much of a sigh for him, he looked up to meet my eyes. I caught a bit of remorse mixed with guilt on his face. He must have felt terrible for killing my mother. 

But before I could tell him that it was alright, my great grandmother said, 'Poor Blair. She was a sweet girl but she always craved attention and affection. I blame her father. Richard didn't only beat her up growing up, he also hurt him mentally, always made her feel like she wasn't good enough.'

Monique, my grandmother, suddenly jumped in and said, 'And her mother was no better either. She was a spineless woman who did nothing but accepted all the abuse. I was honestly surprised that she even had the guts to have an affair with you, Jerome.'

'Oh, please. My charm was just that great,' said a man that I quickly noted as Jerome Delvaux, aka my mum's father, Monique's husband. 

They started arguing about Jerome's charm and I quickly shut them out or well, lowered their volume to a near-mute. In my opinion, both Monique and Jerome were bad parents as well, or at least, they must have done something when they had raised my mum. It was true that every person had their own darkness but the early years of a child built up their character and were key points to how they would become growing up. 

I shoved those thoughts away since there was no point in putting a blame on people for what had happened. I could only hope that should I have a child of my own one day, I would do well in raising them. 

"This doesn't feel right," I said with a small sigh. "I'm going to attempt to fix her wounds and at least preserve her corpse. She's still a person, you know, and frankly, she doesn't deserve this. I learned from my great-grandma and my grandma just now that she was actually a good girl. She was a brilliant sorceress. But she'd been treated unfairly and unkindly by her cruel, abusive father and her mother was no better." 

"I don't know many witches, especially those that didn't cross paths with me, but even I can tell if a person's name is 'Dick' he's usually a dick," muttered Eros under his breath. "I'm sorry for what I did, Xy. I really am. I should've waited. You know, instead of going for the kill, it's just the thought of her killing so many people and still getting to live doesn't sit well with me." 

'Blair loved Gaia like a sister. She'd do anything for her. I'm guessing that she has actually let Gaia take over her body. Considering how powerful Blair is, unless she has given Gaia her permission, I don't think it was possible. Eros actually did all of us a favor. If Blair is still alive, she might wish to bring her half-sister back," explained Monique. 

"It's okay, Er. My grandma just said that Blair might attempt to bring my mum back," I passed that information to Eros, hoping that it would somehow ease his guilt a little. "She loved her and would do anything for her. So with Blair gone, my mum truly wouldn't be able to return." I choked on tears and quickly brushed away one tear that had slipped out of one corner of my eye. 

"Hey, it's okay, Xy." My best friend put his arms around me, enveloping me in his warm embrace. Surprisingly enough, his claws had slowly retracted back and he had fully shifted to his human form now. 

"I'm supposed to hate her. I mean she's done all these horrible things! There's a part of me that is even embarrassed to be related to her." My voice was slightly muffled as I spoke against his shoulder. 

"I get it," said Eros. His hand was moving up and down my back in a soothing motion, trying to calm me down. "But despite everything she has done, she's still your mum, and the fact that she truly died this time saddens you whether you want it or not. I'm so sorry though, that I did that. It was stupid and hasty of me."