thirty nine | you're so cool it makes me hate you sm

/ You're so cool. / It makes me hate you so much.

"Did you just—"

Miles didn't have a chance to finish his sentence as I caught his wrist and dragged him through confused, scared party goers who were now turning the flashlights on their phones all the way to the kitchen and through the back door. It wasn't until we were alone in the backyard that I let go of my grip.

"Xy, what did you do? I mean, how did you do it?" Despite his confused look, I could sense a hint of fear in his eyes.

Even though I knew that there was no point in denying it but I tried it anyway and hoped that he would see the logic and forget that magical stuff was real — which was a hard thing to do considering he was a supernatural being himself.

"What are you talking about?" I attempted to sound appalled. "I didn't do anything. You were with me there. Moreover, I couldn't. I'm just a normal human being, remember?"

Just to be on the safe side, I put my hands inside the pocket of my jeans because clearly, this power was not controllable right now. I had to find a way to control it so something like this wouldn't happen again. Gosh, I really needed Eros. Whether he was lying to me or not, deep down I knew that Eros meant well and now that I'd seen him without his memory, I could tell that something ominous must have fallen upon him and Ares.

"But I saw it." Miles grabbed my arm and pulled it out of my pocket. "I saw your hands had these red lights on."

He turned my palm, but right now, without me using the power (or the power somehow wielding itself), there was nothing on my palm — thankfully.

"I swear there was something." He eyed my other hand, which was still stuck inside my pocket.

I pulled it out and laid it in the open. "There is nothing," I said, pretending to be as confused as he was. I wasn't a good actor. I wasn't sure I would pull it off. Eros could probably tell that I was lying, since he'd known me for longer than ten years. But Miles hadn't, so I was hoping that he wouldn't be able to tell. "Maybe you drank too much."

"I didn't drink."

Shit. I had completely forgotten that he had only drunk a can of Coke and been a responsible driver tonight. "Okay, but there must be a logical explanation for this. The electricity power rose up and blasted the bulb. I don't know, but there must be a reason. And I can tell you that it's not me."

"I would believe that if I wasn't a werewolf," he muttered with a sigh. "But I am. I know magic does exist, Xy. We can go and visit our neighbor in the East and I can assure you that they can do more than blast all the surrounding bulbs." He gave me a pointed look and waited for me to counter his argument.

"Just because they can, that doesn't mean that I can do it too," I argued. "Miles, come on. Are you seriously accusing me? Why would I explode the bulbs? And for what?"

His eyes were locked on me, his eyes narrowing and I could tell that he was still suspicious, even though he had trouble answering any of my questions. But I needed him to let me off the hook completely. He and I worked together in Bean There Done That and the last thing I wanted was for him to keep a close eye on me. I knew I wouldn't use my power at work, but this power seemed uncontrollable and I couldn't guarantee that what had happened here wouldn't happen again.

With a calm breath, I made the choice to take advantage of his silly crush on me by stepping closer and closing the gap between us. I could vaguely hear his sharp intake of breath and saw his eyes widen infinitesimally, almost unseen, but I was paying very close attention to him. I lifted my hand, the one that he wasn't holding, and touched the side of his head. My thumb caressed the spot above his ear.