twenty three | twenty questions, we tell the truth

* have a great weekend everyone *

The woman smiled, her eyes crinkled kindly as she did so. "I'm Tiffany Summers, née Cromwell."

Since the woman was obviously too young to be Ryker's mother, I immediately assumed she was either his sister or cousin. "Are you Ryker's sister?"

"Yes." She nodded. "I see that you've occupied my mum's old bedroom," she said in a faint English accent. "I live in Washington D.C. now so I don't come here often." Which explained the faint English accent, she'd probably lived in America long enough to lose her accent. "How are you, Xyrra? Has—" she took a small pause, clearing her throat, "Has my brother treating you well?"

From the sympathy shining in her eyes and her concerned tone, I could tell that she knew the whole ordeal with Alana and Ryker and she was feeling bad for me for being caught up in this whole mess. "It's been okay so far," I replied to her with a smile that I hoped would assure her.

Yet she shook her head, didn't seem to be convinced at all. "I'm really sorry."

I opened the door wider and stepped away so she could enter. "Do you want to come inside? We can sit and talk." There was a mini living room inside my bedroom. It would be nice to finally be able to use it. I'd persuaded Trish so many times but her answer was always the same.

"I'd love that." She strode inside and took a seat on the long chaise and I sat next to her, giving a few feet of space between us so she wouldn't feel uncomfortable. After all, I was still a stranger to her.

Tiffany let out a deep sigh and shook her head exasperatedly. "This is what we all feared about. The Fated Mate comes along when he already has his Chosen Mate. I've told him multiple times that he should wait longer."

"That's alright." I gave her a small smile. "No offense but I, um, I don't know if I truly bought this whole soulmate thing. As you probably know, I am every bit a human and I don't turn into a giant wolf at will." Tiffany laughed at this, and seemingly found my speech to be both amusing and entertaining. "I know everyone thinks that I came here to steal Ryker away from Alana," I decided to be honest with her, telling her what I could see in the pack members' eyes every now and then whenever I went outside and met them. I still had no clue how on Earth Miles hadn't found out who I was considering I was the 'evil bitch' who tried to take her sister's boyfriend away. "But that was not why I came here, that's not why I am here." I took a deep, calming breath, and yet when I talked again, my voice was still shaky. "I just want answers."

I looked into those silver eyes that were identical to Ryker's and I knew she understood me. "I know, Dear. I know." She surprised me by taking my hand and holding it. "Ryker and I were born into this. We've spent our childhood here while our brother Walker spent it outside. Ryker and I hated it here." Her eyes turned affectionate as she probably remembered a thing or two about their childhood. "But we know that once we've grown up, we could leave and go wherever we want while Walker would have to stay here and lead the pack. You are different, Xyrra, from what I heard, you didn't even know that your dad is also a werewolf."

I bit my bottom lip and nodded. The fact that my dad had never told me still hurt sometimes although most of the time, I did my best effort to ignore it. Yet sometimes it was too much to know that my life had been a lie. That my very own identity was fake.

"I may not know how hard it is for you but I know it's not easy." Her hand squeezed mine. "However I want you to know that you are not alone, Xyrra. People here might not make it easy for you given the fact that they're already used to the thought of Alana as their future Luna but if you want it, if you want to stay here and take that Luna spot, I want you to know that you can. It is your right and no one else has the right to tell you otherwise." The look she was giving me was full of determination as if she herself would fight her own pack for me if anyone would dare to stand in my way of becoming their Luna. "Nevertheless," she patted my hand with her other hand and her smile turned kind, "should you feel like you don't want any of this and wish to go back to your life, free from this whole werewolf thing, then that's your right too. You can choose whichever you want, Xyrra, and I can assure you that no one will pressure you to choose one or the other." Her eyes glimmered with determination and assurance. "Not even my brother."