(d) ten

I couldn't help but ask her directly. "What are you doing here?"

"I was meeting Blair Balfour," Tiffany replied in a hushed tone. "I was hoping she could help me find Ryker." Her expression turned sad and I felt bad for her.

While I'd been away for two years, I'd detached myself from everyone I knew, and that included Ryker's big sister. I'd heard a rumor about Tiffany seeking witches and asking them to help her find her brother but every witch in the East had turned her down. Frankly, they wouldn't want to be involved with wolves' business. Deidre had once told me that the other two packs: the Erebus and the Night Walkers could assume that the witches were siding with the Ethereal should they lend a hand.

"How's it?" I asked, holding her hand. "Did she say yes?"

Tiffany shook her head. "No." She dropped her gaze and looked at our entwined fingers before looking up again to meet my eyes. Tears were brimming in her gorgeous eyes. "She turned me down just like everyone else." Then as if she'd just realized something, she blinked. Her other hand went to hold mine. "You're a sorceress too. Can you do it?"

In theory, I could. "Yes, but, Tiff, what good will that bring if he still has the disease?" I tilted my eyes and looking deep into her eyes, I could see her hope crashing down which broke my heart.

"Of course you're right but-" She sucked a deep breath as if trying to calm herself down. "I just need to know that he's okay, Xyrra. I can't just sit down at my home while my little brother is god knows where. I can't eat knowing that he might be starving. I can't rest knowing that he could be sleeping in the streets or out in the woods." One tear slipped out of her eye and she quickly wiped it with her forefinger. "It's driving me insane, Xyrra. So please. Even if I couldn't see him, at least tell me if he's alright. If he eats well."

Watching her like this, I felt incredibly bad especially since I knew precisely how she felt. The first spell that I'd learned was the tracking spell. I'd mastered it during the first month of my training with Deidre and not only could I tell the location, but I could also see their surrounding area. And during the last two years, I'd stolen moments to check on Ryker. The last time I'd checked was last month and he was in a small town in France. He must be in his wolf form because all I could see was woods. I couldn't check on him too often lest Deidre found out. It was a good thing that the second thing I'd learned was the masking runes to prevent other witches from tracing what spell I had cast.

"He is alright," I told Tiffany and gave her a reassuring smile. "I tracked him last month. He was in France."

"Can I see him?" There was a hopeful note in her tone.

"I don't think it works that way but we can try." I looked around and noticed that the receptionist was eyeing me like a hawk. "Not here."

"Yes, of course. Maybe we could go to my family townhouse?" Tiffany was still holding my hand as we walked out of the building.

"Sure," I drawled, although I wasn't entirely sure whether going to Ryker's family's house was a good idea. I pulled out my phone, then unlocked it and passed it to Tiffany. "Can you key in the address? I'll be right there."

"Or you can come with me. My son Draven is driving me around while I am there." She blinked, still holding my phone. "Where do you stay in London?"

"I, um, haven't figured that out but I should be able to find a place somewhere." I was hoping I'd find Blair and get her to agree to accept me as her apprentice thus living with her. Either that or I could book a hotel or something. I'd brought all the money I'd made from working at the cafe and if that wasn't enough then at least I had the Mastercard that Dmitry had insisted I carry around.