fifty five | these hands had to let it go free,

these hands had to let it go free, and / this love came back to me

Alpha Ryker's POV

I knew deep down that there was something not right about me. The wound had healed, so whatever it was, I knew it was not physical. When everyone had gone to bed, I quietly made my way to the second-floor library to find the book about ancient artifacts. I was done going through the information regarding Roman and Egypt artifacts when Dmitry entered the library and approached me.

"This is an unusual sight," he commented. "You are not the type to sit and read. You are a man of action."

"I know." I let out a deep sigh and leaned back in the seat. "But I need to figure out something."

"How about letting me help you? By proceeding in that manner, we can save time and you can go back to rest." A small frown appeared in between Dmitry's eyebrows. "You were injured today. Rest is something you need a lot of."

"I'm fine." I went back to go through the pages, looking for an image of that sword, the one that had been used to wound me.

"That is what you always say, but just because you say it does not mean that it is the truth." He took a seat next to me on the long sofa and grabbed a book off the pile on the table. "What are we looking for?"

"A sword with two snakes on its hilt," I replied without bothering to look. I went through each page quicker as drowsiness began to arrive and mess with my focus.

"Something like this?" asked Dmitry fifteen minutes later.

I tore my gaze from the page that I was reading and looked at the open pages on his lap. "Yes!" I wanted to jump out of joy but my spirit soon was depleted as soon as I read the paragraph below it. Despite its brevity, the single paragraph had the necessary information. "Bollocks!"

"It is a mythical sword called Sword of Damocles and according to this, it will cause madness to whoever struck with it." Dmitry looked up and met my eyes. "Do you think—"

He didn't have to finish his sentence. I knew what he was asking me. Even without him saying it, I could see it in his eyes. That was how well I knew this man in front of me. My best friend. My right-hand man. My Beta. "Yes."

"But you did not know for sure." The frown on Dmitry's forehead deepened.

"I don't have to, Dimka. I could feel it." I leaned my head against the headrest and looked up at the high ceiling. "I felt it when I was drinking her blood. That rush. That madness. All I want was to drink her dry. I managed to get a grip on myself but again it turned people mad slowly, isn't it? What if I get worse? What if one day I kill her?" I closed my eyes. That thought alone was enough to torment me. I didn't want to be like Alana, who had killed her own mate. The last thing I wanted was to hurt Xyrra.

We were deep in each other's thoughts for what felt like forever before Dmitry broke the silence by asking one question that I wished I didn't have to answer now. "What are you going to do?"

I reopened my eyes and turned to lock my eyes with my best friend. "From the way I see it, there are only two options. Either I leave or," I swallowed hard, "or you kill me."

Dmitry narrowed his eyes, and for the first time, I caught a flare of anger there. An emotion on an emotionless man. A man who believed that he had killed far too many people during his time as a Russian warlord, that he was deprived of emotions. "I will never do such a thing."

"I know and Xyrra said to me that she won't live in a world that doesn't have me in it, so I guess me being dead is not an option." I gave him a small, sad smile.

"So you wish to leave," Dmitry voiced the unspoken decision that I had made.

"Yes. And I want you to protect her." My jaw tightened. Even asking this was difficult, especially when I wanted to do it myself. Except that now I couldn't. Because, for once, I was the one that Xyrra should be protected from.

"If you are leaving, then so am I. I have told you before, Ryker, I will follow you to the end of the world," vowed Dmitry. In his eyes, I could tell that he meant every word.

But I also knew one thing: that he was desperate to hide. One thing that he wished wasn't true, but I knew it was. "I know you like her, Dimka. You can put on your poker face and try telling me that I'm wrong, but I know you. I know you like her. I would've been pissed if I wasn't about to lose my sanity." I choked on my own laughter, shaking my head at his own joke. "I guess that's why they called it 'Mad Wolf', right? It's supposed to drive the wolf into insanity. Khrysaor has been suspiciously quiet for two days now, too quiet even for him, so I can only assume that the disease is slowly affecting him."

Dmitry answered through gritted teeth, "You do not know that." He did not deny what I'd said about his feelings for her, which could only mean that he indeed liked Xyrra.

"Well, neither do you, mate. This is a rare, mythical disease. No one knows. What we do know is that I'm infected and that from past research, people with mates will do crazy things to their mates, including killing them. And I'm not about to let anything happen to Xyrra and I'll be damned if I'm the one who hurt her, so all I'm asking right now is that you'll stay here. Protect her. Not just the pack, but her. Protect her as if she's your Luna. I have announced it to the warriors this afternoon, and they have pledged their fielty so all I need you to do is to see that taking effect."

My best friend shook his head, clearly disagreeing with me about what was best. "Do you really think leaving is the best solution?"

"I know it's not, but what other choice do I have? When this disease finally gets worse and takes over my mind completely, I don't want myself to be anywhere near Xyrra."

Dmitry jumped off the couch. The book on his lap flipped and fell on the floor. "Are you truly that prideful that you don't want her to see you being weak?"

"It's not about me being weak." I did my best to remain calm and in control when, in truth, I was angry inside. How could he say this to me? "It's about her safety."

"Or you being a coward?"

That was it. That was the last string. I got up, nose flaring. "How dare you call me a coward? Do you think I want to leave? I love her. I fucking love her. She is everything to me. I have plans for the two of us once she has graduated. I dream about a life with her. Do you think it is easy for me to let all of that go? This tortures me but this is the only way to keep her safe, Dimka. And in the end, that is all I ever wanted. For her to be safe and happy."

My friend was as stubborn as a mule and, clearly, he had no issue defying me. "I doubt she will be happy with you gone."

I narrowed my eyes. I knew what he was doing. He was trying to make me stay by guilty, tripping me. It would not work. Once I had made my decision, I stood by it. "Then make her happy, mate," I said casually even though it was breaking my heart because I wanted to be the one who made her happy and now I was asking another man to do it for me. "But more importantly, make her forget about me."

I didn't see it coming, but Dmitry's fist made a contact with my jaw and since it had taken me by surprise; I stumbled backward and fell onto the couch.

"Leave and find the cure," said Dmitry without looking at me. His expression was back to his usual flat and emotionless nature. "Then come back to her. I am not touching her, Ry, no matter what you said, no matter how I feel about her. She is your mate and you are my best friend." He took a sharp breath and closed his eyes. "But I will protect her with my life."

888888888

Dear Readers, this author wanted to delay publishing this story however it seems unfair to everyone here. Lastly, here's the last suitor of Xyrra/Fleur and it's the Beta. With this outcome, what do you think will happen?