forty six | counter all your quick remarks like passing notes in secrecy

The playful conversation starts / Counter all your quick remarks / Like passing notes in secrecy

There was a moment of pure silence with nobody moving or saying anything, then the next second, Ryker cursed out loud as he tried to cover my body with his. His hand quickly yanked the blanket to cover my exposed skin. "What the hell, Dimka?!" he yelled at his Beta and gave Dmitry a murdering glare. From what I'd read, male wolves were known to be incredibly possessive when it came to their mates, but this was the first time I witnessed Ryker being possessive of me. I was uncertain if I appreciated it. Possessive meant showing possession, and frankly, I wasn't a thing to be owned by him or anyone else.

Dmitry, being the usual Dmitry, with his expression remaining flat and emotionless, simply shrugged his shoulders and said, "You leave the door wide open. If you want some privacy, you should consider closing it."

Ryker narrowed his eyes, still every bit annoyed, and didn't appreciate his Beta pointing out the opened door. "Well, if you get the gist of it at one glance, you should have the decency of closing the door and walking away instead of interrupting."

"You should say that to Trish as she was the first to witness this and did not close the door," answered Dmitry smoothly, then he shook his head as if it didn't matter and that we were wasting time with this unnecessary debate. "Anyway, that is not why I came here. I want you to take a look at the new security perimeter that I and the guys have come up with during the meeting this morning."

Ryker made sure that my body was completely covered from the neck down before he eased his way off the bed and grabbed his black pants off the floor. "I'll have a look after I get my coffee."

Averting my gaze from Ryker's toned physique, I concentrated on Dmitry's sentence. "This morning? Wait, what time is it?" I ducked my head into the blanket and started searching for my phone. I was certain that it was somewhere in this bed. All I had to do was spot it. Instead, I found my discarded t-shirt and quickly put it on. "And Trish is back?"

"It is almost two in the afternoon now and yes, my dear cousin has returned from her wild escapades to London. I believe she is currently in the dining room, or at least she was when I made my way here."

I located my jeans and quickly slipped them on too. It was a tad challenging considering I was under the duvet and a blanket. But somehow I managed to do it and quickly got out of Ryker's bed. When I'd gotten out, some part of the bed was exposed and I was able to retrieve my phone.

"I'm gonna look for Trish downstairs, then." I headed towards the door and walked past Dmitry without looking at him. Being caught in bed with Ryker was embarrassing.

As I made my way down the hall, I could hear Ryker groaning as he said to Dmitry in a hushed voice, "Seriously, mate, you have the worst timing ever."

I made a brief trip to my bedroom to clean up, brush my teeth, and comb my hair, so by the time I'd arrived in the kitchen downstairs, I was somewhat presentable. "Trish!"

Trish was sitting on the barstool, nursing a glass of what I assumed was brandy. It was too early for a drink, but I swallowed my comment. It brought me joy that she was finally back. There were so many things that I wanted to talk to her about, things that I couldn't tell Davina because she was human and would probably think I was crazy if I started sputtering that werewolves existed.

Placing her glass on the table, Trish hopped off the barstool. We met halfway, and she pulled me into a hug. "Gosh! You won't believe what was up in London. I got to this really cool downtown club and—" she pulled back and fixed her gaze on me. "Did you color your hair? I swear it was light brown and not this reddish-brown when I left."