twenty four | right down the rabbit hole

RYKER

'Someone is jealous,' said Khrysaor with a roar of laughter. Even his laugh was irritating.

"Shut up," I hissed which only made his laughter even worse.

I blocked him out as I entered my office and closed the door behind me. There were so many things to do. I seriously had no clue how Walker had been able to manage it. I sat on my chair, leaning back against the leather and closing my eyes. Life had been so easy before I became an Alpha. I'd never thought I'd be where I was right now, even though I was the next-in-line for Walker - since my sister wanted out of this because she had no wolf, I'd always thought that Walker's son would be the one who would eventually succeed him. Not me.

For the last five years, I'd been haunted by the images from that night. The night my brother had been brutally murdered. I'd seen my brother with his neck torn out and his heart lying on the floor lifeless next to his bed. Blood had been everywhere. Until now, I still couldn't bring myself to enter his bedroom even though it had been cleaned and the bed and the furniture had been replaced, let alone sleep in there which was why I had made another room as the Alpha bedroom. A room that was far away from Walker's old bedroom with the hope that the images from that night would stop haunting me. It hadn't. It still did, every single night, and sometimes even when I was wide awake, I got images flashing in my mind. Every damn time.

At least until Xyrra came into my life. Those horrendous nightmares had been replaced with wet dreams and instead of waking up with horror on my face, I woke up with a painful hard-on. Khrysaor was immensely happy about this, he too had been haunted by the images from that night. Me? I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps my Fated Mate was the one who could save me. If perhaps she was truly meant for me.

Although like I'd said to Alana, I didn't love Xyrra or have any feelings for her but it was obvious that I needed her nonetheless. And whether I wanted to admit it or not, Khrysaor had been right, it was one of the hardest things to have to watch her dancing and flirting with Miles. Good grief, it had taken so much in me not to rush over there then dragged Miles to the front door and kicked him out. The thought alone astonished me because I liked Miles. He was a fun, easy-going guy despite his title of being the biggest flirt around here. I'd never had any issue with him. Not until last night when his eyes stared at Xyrra's body as if he couldn't wait to undress her. For the first time ever, I wanted nothing but to beat the shite out of him.

I reopened my eyes, grabbed the stack of paper from the leather box on my right, and stared at another leather box on my left which was empty. I let out a deep sigh. The stack on my right was the ones I needed to finish and the left leather box was for those I'd finished. Obvious that there was a lot I had to do, I began working. Each paper contained different matters but Dmitry had organized them to make it easier for me. The first bundle was from the school and they were asking for more teachers and fighting instructors. Teachers were harder to come by however Dmitry and I could go there twice a week to fill the fighting instructors' position so I approved their wish to open an application for the teachers' position and informed them that Dmitry and I would come by the school twice or thrice every week to mentor the kids. I took my Alpha seal from the drawer and gave a stamp below my writing then put the bundle into the left leather box before reaching out for the next bundle. This one was from the hospital and nearly the same as the school, they needed extra hands there too. I had my medical license so I told them that they could call me whenever they needed an extra hand. They also asked raised concerns about the delay in medical supplies delivery, I informed them that I would contact our suppliers and follow up on this. I wrote a post-it note and stuck it on my monitor then put a stamp on the paper, placed the bundle on the left leather box, then moved on to the next bundle.