Ch. 14.2 - The Blaze Rods

[Jesse's POV]

The sword spiraled through the air as it flew up to the lid of the tunnel, where it was closing. Just as the lids were about to meet, the sword reaches the opening, causing it to get stuck between the lids, creating a loud clank sound and preventing it from closing completely.

Axel: "Whoa! I can't believe I just saw that! That was amazing! Why is no one freaking out!?"

Petra: "Freak out on the inside, Axel. We gotta move!" Speeding up like our lives depended on it, we staggered out through the lid and out of the tunnel.

Jesse: "Hah... man. This is becoming, like, my lucky sword or something. I can't believe we made it!"

Olivia: "Jesse, the spiders! Close the lid!"

Jesse: "Oh, right!" I grab my sword, which is still jammed between the lids. "C-Crap... why is this so..." I pull with all my might. Shit... this is killing my muscles! Right then, when I thought I'd give up, the sword suddenly got free, the sheer force sending me flying back as the lids finally slammed shut, taking a few spiders with it who almost managed to get outside.

Petra: "Huff... that was a close one..." I pant.

Jesse: "You know, maybe we should go to somewhere less dangerous next time..."

Axel: "Are you kidding?! That was AWESOME! This is exactly my kind of adventure!"

Petra: "I know, right?!" Petra and Axel high-five.

Jesse: "Really??? We could've ended up dead!"

Petra: "Oh, c'mon, you don't have to lie. The thrill was worth that risk, wasn't it?"

Jesse: "I mean... I guess... but was it really?"

Axel: "I keep telling you, nothin' is fun if you're not taking risks!" I send a concerned glance back at Axel.

Olivia: "C'mon, let's head home before even more mobs show up!" Packing up our weapons, we leave the temple.

Axel: "I tell you guys, doing that never gets old. Woo!"

Petra: "Yeah, not too bad. Killing a bunch of monsters, getting sweet treasure..."

Axel: "Like that Flint and Steel thing! You gotta try it again!"

Olivia: "I'd be curious to see it again, too. I'm dying to know how it works!"

Jesse: "Really? Right now?"

Axel: "I mean, it wouldn't hurt to give it another shot, right?" I thought about it for a second, then just sighed.

Jesse: "Okay, fine, here, you can give it a shot."

Axel: "Oooooh!" Axel excitedly takes the Flint and Steel from me and, after finding a lone tree log to use it on, doesn't hesitate to light it. The moment he strikes the two objects together, a sudden, tall blue flame appears, causing us to be taken aback for a moment.

Everyone: """"Whoa!!!"""" Before we get to process it in our heads, the fiercely burning flame engulfs the tree log, burning it to a crisp.

Jesse: "Okay, we definitely need to set up some fire alarms if we bring this thing indoors."

Olivia: "Agreed, Axel might accidentally burn the whole village if we're not careful."

Axel: "Hey! I'm not THAT stupid!" The three of us burst into laughter, to Axel's dismay. The fun atmosphere could've continued if it weren't for something unexpected suddenly bringing our conversation to a close.