Ch. 17.2 - Dawn of a new Era

[Jesse's POV]

Stay calm, Jesse. Don't do anything irrational. If I can predict his moves, I can counter his attacks. With us on even ground, Aiden's probably going to act more desperate than ever before. If I can keep that edge, I can definitely beat him. That's my key to victory...!

A distant thunder roared... and Aiden used it as the signal to attack. Aiden lunges straight at me incautiously, just like I did back at the temple -- an odd way of showing how the tables have turned. I braced for the impact, and our swords clashed together, causing both of us to get knocked back. Failing this attack, Aiden tries for another swing, but I predict the attack and block it as well.

Realizing this isn't working, he tries to aim his sword at my body, intending to pierce me. But I successfully dodged that one as well by jumping back. Aiden tries to wind up for another swing, but I'm not letting him continue with this. This time, I sprinted towards Aiden and swung at his sword.

The two of us clashed, but my swing exerted enough force to overpower his, causing Aiden to stumble back. Aiden barely managed to recover from that attack, turning nervous for a second. I didn't let that opportunity pass. This time, I was on offense. I swung at Aiden, forcing him to block.

In an attempt to overwhelm him, I followed up with another swing. Aiden barely managed to hold his ground on that one. I follow up with a third one. This time, it was too strong for Aiden to block, causing him to get knocked to the ground. Aiden's expression grew more fragile, but it wasn't enough to completely defeat him.

Aiden: "I WON'T LOSE TO THE LIKES OF YOU!" Aiden stands up and tries to swing at me again, but the desperation only made his attack more predictable, allowing me to block it with ease. Aiden tries to follow up by doing a random swing again, but I intercept that one as well. With Aiden's attacks getting weaker and more predictable, all that was left was to do the finishing blow.

Aiden swings at me one final time, and our swords get tangled as we fight for control. But Aiden was turning exhausted, and that was the final nail in the coffin. With the upper hand, I pushed his weapon down, and with a quick motion, I launched the sword away, causing Aiden to lose grip of the weapon, falling to the ground in the process. The enchanted sword flies away... sliding down the roof of the building... into the darkness below...

Now that Aiden had nothing left to defend him with, I slowly approached him with my weapon drawn. As I did, he suddenly started panicking, whimpering like a scared dog while holding his hands up.

Aiden: "Wait wait wait! Hang on... I-I surrender, I surrender! We can still talk about this, right? Here... Here! You want your flint and steel back, huh? Take it! It's yours!" Aiden threw the enchanted flint and steel in front of me. After checking to make sure it wasn't a trap, I quickly snatched them before returning to my stance.

Jesse: "Hmph. Right when you're helpless, you decide to beg for mercy? You truly are the lowest scum in history."

Aiden: "P-Please. Don't hurt me. I-I know I tried to kill you, but... please don't hurt me... I don't wanna die..." Aiden trembled, and the rain wasn't making it any better. I sighed. I can't help it, but seeing such a pathetic man begging for his life like that, I couldn't help but be taken aback. Was I planning on killing Aiden? Well, when I was enraged, maybe I thought that way. But now, I'm sure what I should do with him.

But this could've been a trap. So I stayed in my stance while I was stuck figuring out what to do next. I sighed as I glared into his teary eyes.

Jesse: "You think, after all you did, people are just gonna forgive you just like that? You tried to kill me AND Lukas! How could you throw away your friend like that?! Do you know how much that hurt Lukas?! To be betrayed by a friend he knew for so long... what did that friendship mean to you?!" Aiden hung his head low.