Ch. 15.2 - Sky City

[Lukas's POV]

Reginald: "Captain Reginald, at your service, how can I help you?" I curiously approach the guard, seemingly watching over another citizen as they build something in the middle of the square.

Lukas: "Uh, hey, so, what are you guys up to?"

Reginald: "Oh! Just supervising this citizen while she does her build."

Girl: "The Founder finally approved my petition!"

Lukas: "The Founder?"

Reginald: "That's her palace up there!" The guard points to the giant egg-shaped building. "She is the Keeper of the Eversource, builds everything you see!"

Lukas: "Huh. So that's where the Eversource is..."

Reginald: "Yep! Right by the Founder's side, so she can protect us from it. That's why she gets to make the calls about what does or doesn't get built."

Girl: "Like my build!"

Lukas: "Wait, protect us from it? And why isn't it allowed for everyone to build? Doesn't the Eversource have an infinite supply of resources?"

Reginald: "Ha! What a sentiment. I mean, it is a good thought, but that's crazy! I'm sorry, but more information about the Eversource is strictly confidential."

Lukas: "Ah, I see. Well, I'm looking for an 'Inn'. Do you know where it is?"

Reginald: "Uh, yeah! It's back over that a-way. Milo's place." Reginald points to a small street going away from the square.

Lukas: "Milo, huh? Thanks."

Reginald: "No problem!" I smile back as I walk away. Man, this place keeps getting weirder and weirder. Well, at least now I know where this Inn is, but I'm still not sure what the deal with this Founder is. I hope the others have found out more about that. I guess I'll report this back to the others...

[Jesse's POV]

Guard: "Don't step on the grass, please."

Jesse: "Okay... I was just looking." I hesitantly stepped a block back from the garden fence.

Guard: "Sorry. I just take my job very seriously because it is, in fact, serious business."

Jesse: "Wow. This garden must be really special or something to get its own guard. What's the deal?"

Guard: "The dirt here is very precious. This garden feeds almost everybody in town. If even one block were to drop over the edge... Whew! Catastrophe!"

Jesse: "Huh? I never heard dirt being this valuable." The guard raised an eyebrow.

Guard: "In case you didn't already know, everything that drops off the island is gone, forever. And with the limited resources we have here, even the most common items are a very big deal."

Jesse: "Wait, can't you get infinite supplies from the 'Eversource?'"

Guard: "I don't know where you heard that, but it's not that simple, you know? Also, information about the Eversource is very strict. I'm sorry, but I can't give away more than I already did."

Jesse: "Okay, fine... I'll just leave then."

Guard: "Have a good day." The guard waves as I move away to another part of the garden fence where no one can bother me. I've spoken to a few other people before this, but it didn't go anywhere, so I gave up and went to the place we promised to regroup. Not long after, Ivor, Petra, and Lukas return as well, some looking more confident than others.