Ch. 19.4 - The Fourth Suspect

[Jesse's POV]

Jesse: "Welp... After all that, here we are. My final suspect. Here to point more fingers and blame more people I'm sure..." Lukas turns to me, raising an eyebrow.

Lukas: "Jesse, I didn't push the button, you know?" I widen my eyes before realizing what I just said.

Jesse: "Aww, I was just joking! Of course I know it's not you. Why would I think otherwise?"

Lukas: "Sorry, I'm just..." Lukas looks away. "...A little on edge right now..." Thinking back to the fact that he's literally being accused of murder, I guess I can't blame him.

Jesse: "...How are you holding up?" Lukas continued to gaze at the fireplace. His expression looked rather tense, which made me worried.

Lukas: "I don't know about you... but I don't trust these new people."

Jesse: "Well, isn't that natural? I mean, we're stuck in a mansion with a freaking killer on the loose; I'm pretty sure everyone's feeling paranoid to some degree."

Lukas: "Yeah, I know. But there's just something about these people that feels off, like they're all still hiding things. I don't know if you already heard, but back in the lobby, it's just non-stop whispering and rumors being thrown around!"

Jesse: "Rumors?"

Lukas: "Yeah, ever since you declared which people were suspects, it felt like everyone suddenly started acting more... hostile towards another. Making up rumors, throwing around accusations... it's like they're all trying to throw each other under the minecart tracks!" Lukas sighed as he hung his head low with a frustrated expression.

Jesse: "They... didn't say anything bad about you... right?" Lukas sighs once again. I guess that answered my question. "Lukas, I don't know what kind of things they said to you, but don't listen to them! That whole thing with the multiple buttons was probably just a trick to try and frame you. Don't forget that you're innocent, alright?"

Lukas: "Yeah, I know... but it just... weighs me down..."

Jesse: "What do you mean?" Lukas looks down, dejected.

Lukas: "It's just... I can't believe I'm being... treated like this... again! First, I'm backstabbed by my own friends I knew for so long... and now... I'm being accused by these people of being a freaking murderer!? At this point, who can I trust not to throw me under the minecart tracks!?" Lukas plops into his seat, dejected.

Jesse: "..." Lukas's small outburst surprised me a little, so I was stuck on how to respond. Meanwhile, he continued staring at the ceiling with a tired-looking face, which only made me even more worried. "What about me? Do you trust me?" Lukas looks at me for a moment before looking away with a sad face.

Lukas: "Sorry, I got carried away. I'm not saying I don't trust you. You, Petra, and maybe even Ivor -- you guys are like my new family. And I'm glad you were there for me through the whole... Aiden situation. I really appreciate that."

Jesse: "Lukas..."

Lukas: "It's just that... I don't know if I can ever trust other people as easily as I used to anymore. I used to be more open-minded, trying not to judge someone by just their first impression. That's why I tolerated Aiden for so long, despite his bad attitude. But... I don't know if I can ever think like that again..."

Lukas proceeded to look down again. Seeing him like this, I couldn't help but start feeling sad too. I know I'm not the best at this stuff, but I at least wanted to try and make him feel better.

Jesse: "Well... it's not a bad thing to be cautious around other people. Sometimes, it's just better to avoid those types of individuals. Well, I guess that's not really possible right now... Sorry, that didn't come out well..." Lukas raises an eyebrow back at me. "But... just know that... you can always count on me! Petra and Ivor too. We're a team, remember? We would never leave you behind or anything like that!"