Ch. 19.3 - Three Suspects

[Jesse's POV]

I slowly opened the double door before scanning the room for any traps that might be lurking in here. To my surprise, I actually spot several hazards off the bat: Two dispensers, one on the floor in the middle of the room and another on one of the walls. And to top it off, there's also a fireplace in here, as well as a weird lava lamp hanging down from the ceiling.

I thought to myself if I should find another place to do the interrogations, but this is the only other room on the ground floor beside the lobby and dining hall, and there's no guarantee the other rooms on the upper floor are any safer. The best option would be to just disarm the potential hazards in here, since I already managed to find all of them... Well, I hope that's all of them anyway.

Using a few wooden planks from the trees I cut down earlier, I block off the dispensers to disarm them. I thought about putting out the fire inside the fireplace, but the other one inside the dining hall never put anyone in danger, and there's no flammable blocks around here for it to spread, so I decided to leave it as it is. If it becomes a danger later on, I can always put it out then.

Now the only threat left would be that odd lava lamp. The lamp itself is just a glass box that's encasing the lava inside it. I don't see any hidden pistons that might potentially cause the lava to pour out, but I can't take any risks; I have to get rid of that lava somehow. Right then, Petra poked into the room, still holding Dan captive.

Petra: "Are you done yet?"

Jesse: "Almost... There's that lava lamp over there that I'm worried about. Do you have any cobblestone?" Petra searches through her inventory.

Petra: "Huh... I guess this must be a leftover I never bothered to take out." Petra hands me one.

Jesse: "Thanks." Using the wooden planks, I tower up, and after carefully breaking the glass, I stuff the lamp with the cobblestone, causing the lava to disappear. "Okay, I think we're good to go." I jump down as Petra walks in with Dan before closing the door behind her. Since I was watching out for traps earlier, I didn't pay attention to what else was in the room until now.

Beside the door was another ominous painting of the White Pumpkin, this time wearing a top hat of some sort. The only other painting in the room was one of a white bunny. Other than that, nothing really stood out. There were windows on one side, a few chairs laying around, a carpet in the middle, a fireplace, and a surprisingly large amount of bookshelves in all corners of the room. I think this is supposed to be a library? Whatever it is, this room will have to do.

Jesse: "Well? What's the question you wanted to ask again?" Petra looks over to Dan with a pissed-off face. Dan, whose hair is suddenly white, returns the gaze with a scared face.

Petra: "You had a lot of nerve to have lied to my face back there."

Dan: "W...What?"

Petra: "Don't play dumb! Back when I questioned you about the rare item with Lizzie, you lied that no one knew who got it first! And what did I find out from the others? That you were the one who found it first! Now tell me, why on earth would you leave such an important detail out, huh?!"

Dan: "I... I..." Dan gets stuck on how to respond, clearly taken aback by Petra's aggressive yelling. Aside from him visibly trembling, it almost looked like he was about to cry.

Petra: "What? I can't hear you!"

Dan: "I'm sorry! I didn't know it would be such a big deal! We just said what we thought would be best for us! I never knew things would end up like this!" Dan hangs his head low. "I'm sorry I lied... I just thought it would make me look less suspicious... Can you blame me?"