Ch. 18.1 - A Portal to Mystery

[Jesse's POV]

When the world around me finally comes into view, I'm immediately met with a bat that flies into my face. I wanted to scream, but thanks to the bat, it only came out muffled. A split second later, I suddenly hit the ground. "OOF."

The fall disoriented me for a second until I remembered the bat on my face, which caused me to jolt up, frantically trying to brush it off again. Eventually, I managed to knock it off for good this time. I sigh in relief now that the bat is finally gone. Unfortunately, that relief immediately vanished once I realized where I had landed. I wasn't back in the jungle temple or any other place I knew.

A second later, Petra, Lukas, and Ivor appeared in thin air above me, crashing into the ground as well. It was then that I realized the bat wasn't the one that flew into my face, but me who fell into it. Well, that didn't make me feel any better. I walked over and helped the three disoriented people stand up.

Lukas: "Did we... end up back home...?"

Jesse: "As much as I hate to admit it, no... we didn't..." Everyone sighed, frustrated. "See? This is exactly why we shouldn't have chosen randomly! Who knows where we ended up now?"

Ivor: "Oh, don't be pissed! NONE of those portals were labeled or anything like that! Sure, they were all different colors and had different frames, but that didn't tell us anything! No matter which one we picked, they all had the same chances of being the right portal!" I crossed my arms.

Lukas: "Okay, let's not immediately lose hope. Maybe we did end up in the right world, but the portal just brought us to a random location?" We looked around. We were standing inside some kind of graveyard, and outside of it was a swamp biome that stretched so long we couldn't see where it ended. To top it all off, it had to be nighttime as well.

Jesse: "Well, I'm seeing grass, forests, lots of ground in all directions... it certainly looks more similar to our world than that sky dimension. That's a good sign, right?"

Ivor: "Ahem!" Ivor pointed to the sky. Huh? There are... 2 moons...?

Jesse: "Aha..."

Petra: "Verdict says? Definitely not our world. You owe me two iron, Lukas. Pay up."

Lukas: "Okay, okay! Here..." Lukas hands over the iron with a sour face.

Ivor: "Told you it was a dumb bet..."

Jesse: "Okay, since we already confirmed this isn't our world, we can just go straight back to that weird hallway again, right?"

Ivor: "Yes... that's a great idea! If we knew where the portal going back is."

Jesse: "From what we know from the world we already visited, there seems to always be one that gets us in and one that gets us out. In other words, an entrance and an exit. We know it's somewhere, so sooner or later, we'd have to stumble upon it, right?"

Ivor: "Are you kidding me?! You're telling me we have to search this ENTIRE WORLD, maybe even DIG UP THE ENTIRE PLACE JUST TO FIND THAT STUPID PORTAL?!"

Petra: "Okay, let's NOT go that route. Last world, we encountered a whole new civilization no one has ever stumbled upon. Maybe we can try searching for any people who might be living here. Who knows? Maybe they know this place better than we do. At the very least, it's better than blindly digging in random spots until we find it."

Jesse: "Okay, c'mon guys! We've surely been through scarier places. Whatever this place throws at us, it'll be no problem!"

Lukas: "Yeah... I hope you're right..." Lukas leaned on one of the nearby graves, clearly feeling down. We looked at him, worried.