Ch. 17.1 - The Final Duel: Jesse vs. Aiden

[Jesse's POV]

I started running towards the palace, trying to find anyone I knew in the crowd.

Milo: "Jesse! You're alive!" I spot Milo and a bunch of people hiding behind some rubble that once was a building. "Thank the stars! Please! Can you help us!?" I spot two nearby skeletons who are currently trying to kill them.

Jesse: "Hang tight, Milo! I'm on my way!" I charged at the skeletons while they were still focusing on Milo. I ram into the first, causing it to push into the second one, sending both to the ground. Before they get to stand up again, I run over and stab the skeletons, killing both of them. After making sure the path is clear, I sprint over to Milo's cover.

Milo: "I am impressed. You are very quick on your feet! But with all seriousness, how are you alive? I saw you go over the edge!"

Jesse: "Quick version? You know how you all thought there was nothing but void below you?"

Milo: "...Yes?"

Jesse: "Yeah. That was wrong. There's land down there." Milo gasps.

Milo: "You speak truthfully, my friend?" A fireball explosion near where we are interrupts me before I get to answer.

Jesse: "Sorry, but this isn't exactly the time for this right now!" Milo nods, understanding the situation.

Milo: "Well, I can't wait to hear all about it later."

Jesse: "Anyway, I've gotta get to the palace! Any safe way in?" Milo looks over the destroyed wall we were hiding behind.

Milo: "The palace entrance isn't far away from here! We just need to get through that skeleton riding that spider! I can help you clear up the path; you use the opportunity to sprint through, okay?"

Jesse: "Okay."

Milo: "Thank you, my friend. I will see you on the other side. That's a promise." I nodded back. On the count of 3, we sprint out of our cover. Milo charges at the skeleton, knocking it out of the spider. With just the spider left, I have no problem dispatching it on my own.

With the spider swiftly sliced apart, I look back on Milo. It seems he has the skeleton under control, so I use that opportunity to run to the palace. There, I could still see Maya and Gill wrecking havoc with their spawn eggs. Right then, I was able to spot Petra also in front of the palace, seemingly having to deal with the mobs the Blaze Rods keep sending out.

Gill: "How do you like that, HUH? Ha! BLAZE RODS!"

Maya: "Boom! Egg!" Maya throws yet another one at Petra.

Jesse: "Petra!" After dealing with the spider that popped out of the egg, she turned around, surprised to hear my voice.

Petra: "Jesse! You're alive!?" I attempt to sprint over to her, but that is interrupted when a ghast shoots a fireball towards me, prompting me to avoid the fireball before it hits me. Shit. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to run out in the open. I turn my attention to the ghast, trying to finish it first, but realize that I wasn't dealing with just one.

With three ghasts blocking my route, I had no chance to reach Petra. Then they all proceeded to shoot at me simultaneously. I brace to jump away, but someone suddenly pushes me and themselves out of harm's way first.

Jesse: "Ah!" We landed in a crater a few blocks away. It wasn't the safest place, but we managed to avoid the ghasts line of sight for now. When we both stood up, I was finally able to make out who it was. "Ivor!?"

Ivor: "No time for chit-chat! Aiden has taken over the palace... He's holed up in the throne room, throwing those spawn eggs everywhere! No one can get inside! Petra's been trying to barge in, but there are too many mobs to get any closer!"