Chapter 1: Elysian Astral

I awoke in a dimly lit room, far removed from the clamor of my usual chaotic surroundings. The absence of raucous voices and mischievous children hurling stones at our house reminded me that I was isolated. Isolated because they considered me a freak.

"Freak." Perhaps they were right.

Since the day I was born, my mother insisted I was special. I possessed an uncanny ability to communicate with serpents, as though I were one of their own. I could discern the meaning behind their slithering sounds, which inevitably sparked the hatred of my neighbors.

They called me a witch, a freak, a devil practicing dark magic.

Everything was bearable until they compelled my mother to send me away to the School of Special Children—Elysian Astral University, a sanctuary for students endowed with extraordinary gifts. They promised to care for me and ensure I never went hungry again.

But that was far from their true motives. They merely sought to banish me from their midst, terrified that I would unleash venomous snakes upon them or that my anomalous blood might prove fatal. In other words, they were terrified of me.

"Rank 23407. Open."

Voices echoed from beyond the confines of my room, causing me to curl into myself, shrouded in trepidation.

I knew none of them. All I knew was that they had brought me here to exploit my abilities.

Rumors about this university had reached my ears, none of them painting a favorable picture. Complaints from people hailing from other districts filled the air. Some sought justice for the fate that had befallen their loved ones during their tenure within these walls.

Whispers abounded that Elysian Astral subjected its students to torturous trials, draining them of their very essence. And once they were deemed useless, they were unceremoniously cast aside, stripped of their standing. Ancestral losers, the world called them.

"Have your meal, then we'll proceed to the testing lab," the guard declared, sliding a tray containing bread towards me as he stationed himself outside the room.

"Lab? Do you mean laboratory?" I inquired, disregarding the food before me.

"Yes. We must conduct tests to determine which dormitory you shall be assigned to," he explained.

Without hesitation, I rose to my feet and rushed toward the guard. But as soon as I laid hands upon him, he swiftly pushed me away, causing me to stumble and crash onto the floor.

"Refrain from physical contact. You have not yet undergone testing. Being an Ophiuchus or Cetus, you could kill us with ease," the guard cautioned, brandishing his weapon in my direction.

I nodded meekly, keeping my head lowered, fearful that a single misstep might result in my demise.

I cannot perish now. I must find my way back to my mother.

"If you won't eat, then come with me."

The guard set off, and I trailed behind him until we reached a black-tinted glass door, devoid of any signage hinting at what lay beyond.

We stepped inside, and all my eyes could perceive was a solitary bed and a monitor. A figure donned in a doctor's lab coat and gloves scrutinized the screen with furrowed brows.

"Mr. Kugimiya, this is the new student. Rank 23407. Becky Armstrong," the guard announced, bowing before excusing himself, leaving me alone with the most mesmerizing creature I had ever beheld.

I knew it wasn't the opportune moment to marvel at his beauty, yet I couldn't help myself.

"Welcome to EAU, Becky. How are you feeling?" he inquired, motioning for me to recline upon the bed. "Don't worry. I won't lay bare your innards or perform any surgeries. I am not a physician," he chuckled.

Mr. Kugimiya scrutinized the lines on my palms and directed a laser toward my forehead, studying the monitor intently.

"This is peculiar. I have never witnessed an ability such as yours," he murmured, jotting down the statistics that danced upon the screen. "Congratulations. You are to be assigned to Dormitory F—Sagittarius, the Archers." His smile radiated warmth.

I struggled to comprehend his words, tilting my head in confusion. What did Sagittarius mean? What did it have to do with being an archer? I didn't even know the first thing about wielding a bow.

I couldn't understand what he was saying, so I tilted my head, trying to make sense of his words. His chuckle suggested that he found my confusion amusing, and he motioned for me to follow him. Curiosity piqued, I obliged and followed him into his office.

As we entered, my eyes scanned the room, taking in the scholarly atmosphere. The shelves were lined with books of various sizes and colors, hinting at a vast wealth of knowledge contained within those pages. Mr. Kugimiya wasted no time, immediately retrieving a book from the drawer of his desk.

With a gentle thud, the book landed on the surface, its weathered cover catching my attention. Its title, "Elysian Astral," was embossed in golden letters, and its pages seemed to whisper tales of wonder and mystery.

Mr. Kugimiya's voice filled the room, explaining the nature of the university he mentioned earlier. "Elysian Astral is a university unlike any other," he began. "It is a haven for those who possess special abilities derived from their zodiac signs. Each district harbors more than a thousand students who have unlocked these extraordinary gifts, and you, my dear, are part of the impressive cohort of 24,000 individuals."

His words sent a thrill down my spine. Elysian Astral sounded like a place where dreams merged with reality, where the extraordinary became ordinary. His smile widened as he closed the book, leaving a sense of anticipation lingering in the air.

"You were born on December 5th," he continued, his voice filled with a mix of pride and fascination. "That makes you a Sagittarius, an archer among the zodiac signs." His gaze met mine, as if he could see the potential waiting to be unleashed within me.

The weight of his words settled on my shoulders, both exciting and intimidating. What adventures awaited me at Elysian Astral? How would I navigate a world where zodiac signs bestowed unique abilities? With a newfound determination, I vowed to embrace my identity as a Sagittarius and step into the unknown that awaited me at the university.

Then a thought came into my mind. I needed to go back to my mother.

As I prepared to leave the room, Mr. Kugimiya's voice reverberated once more.

"But exercise caution and refrain from physical contact. Your zodiac sign is still uncertain. Some Sagittarians harbor an additional identity as Ophiuchus, concealed beneath their archer's facade. They are exceedingly rare and potent, but can only touch a chosen few." Mr. Kugimiya's voice carried a weighty significance. "If that be your fate, the road ahead shall prove arduous. So, be vigilant at all times."