Chapter 4: Back to the Lab

"Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides." –André Malraux

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The chaotic battle had finally ended, and students dispersed back to their respective dormitories. Exhausted and overwhelmed by the events of my very first day, I sought solace in the comfort of my dormitory, Dorm F. As I sank onto the couch in the common room, I eagerly peeled off my gloves, relishing the sensation of cool air on my skin.

The fight had taken its toll on me, nearly giving me a heart attack. Thoughts of what awaited me the next day filled my mind. Would I perish in this strange place, never to see my mother again?

Lost in my contemplation, I was startled when a voice interrupted my thoughts. "Becky, right?" a friendly voice inquired, causing me to rise to my feet and hastily slip my gloves back on. "Don't worry, you don't have to be cautious around me," the girl added with a chuckle.

"Um, yes, I'm Becky. And I apologize for occupying the couch," I replied, my head slightly lowered.

She reassured me, saying, "No need to apologize. It's for everyone. By the way, I wanted to ask if you'd like to join us on the training field. I'm curious to see your archery skills."

Shaking my head and waving my hands in protest, I responded, "I don't know the first thing about handling a bow. In District X, there wasn't an archery range, so it's completely foreign to me."

"Well, I can teach you. Besides, you're a Sagittarius. Archery comes naturally to us," she said, grabbing my hands and pulling me towards the training ground.

As we descended into the underground training area, the brilliance of the lights overwhelmed me, nearly blinding my senses. The archery ranges were bustling with focused students, all hitting bullseye after bullseye, which only served to heighten my nervousness.

"Let's head to the VIP area," the girl suggested, guiding me once again.

However, as we entered the room, I suddenly felt a forceful kick from behind, causing me to stumble and even cough up a bit of blood. I turned around to face my attacker, only to find a stranger whose uniform indicated a much higher rank, 31 to be precise. The girl who had kicked me leaned in, her lips curling into a smirk, before executing a swift and invisible spinning kick that blurred my vision.

"Next time, don't play the damsel in distress," she whispered in my ear. "You don't deserve to be saved by Nat."

And then, darkness enveloped me.

When I finally regained consciousness, I found myself in the laboratory, with Mr. Kugimiya diligently studying the monitor. So engrossed was he in his work that he hadn't noticed my awakening.

Confusion laced my voice as I asked him, "Why am I here?"

Startled by my sudden question, Mr. Kugimiya nearly jumped. He greeted me with a warm smile and turned off the monitor before entering his office to review my results.

"Currently, there is no indication that you possess the traits of an Ophiuchus. It seems you are a regular Sagittarius, but I know you're not," he informed me, his smile unwavering. He offered me some food, but I declined.

Curiosity and apprehension mingled within me as I ventured further, asking, "What's so special about Ophiuchus, Mr. Kugimiya? Are they more dangerous than Leo?"

Mr. Kugimiya let out a weary sigh and nodded. "In the past, there were only 14 zodiac signs. Leos possessed feral minds and have super strength and speed. They also have enhanced senses and reflexes. Capricorns could manipulate nature, and Scorpios could poison others with their blood. Aries were known for their speed and fire manipulation. Taurus had incredible strength, and as a Sagittarius, you possess animal telepathy and exceptional archery skills. Virgos could control and heal plants, while Libras were known for their unmatched intellect. Aquarius had the power to manipulate or generate ice, Cancer possessed telekinetic abilities, and Geminis could replicate themselves and create illusions. Pisces could teleport and breathe underwater, while Cetus could manipulate chaos, weather, and even minds," he explained, his voice laden with gravity. "But Ophiuchus, Becky, they possess the ability to acquire the powers of other constellations. They can predict future events, acquire vast wisdom, heal with their blood, and manipulate snakes. They are the serpents, and undoubtedly, the most dangerous among all the zodiacs."

Baffled, I inquired, "Then why aren't there any Ophiuchus students here at EAU?"

"Because the headmistress is determined to eradicate them. Once they identify someone as an Ophiuchus, they eliminate them without hesitation," Mr. Kugimiya divulged. Removing his gloves, he gently cupped my cheeks and looked deeply into my eyes.

"I will keep your secret safe, Becky. And I hope you'll do the same for me," he said, a warm smile gracing his lips as he caressed my cheeks.

"What secret are you talking about?" I asked, my confusion growing.

Mr. Kugimiya chuckled softly, donning his gloves once again. "In just ten seconds, a Leo will enter this room. Prepare your things and remember what I've told you."

Though his words left me perplexed, I complied. Hastily gathering my belongings, I counted to ten. As I finished, the door swung open, revealing Freen.

With a knowing wink, Mr. Kugimiya indicated for me to close the door behind me. It was at that moment that realization dawned upon me.

Mr. Kugimiya was an Ophiuchus, and he wanted me to keep his secret, just as he would keep mine. And that meant, I too was like him.