Chapter 27: Goodbyes and Lies

"Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary" - Patrick Ness

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

I woke up early with Freen's arms wrapped around me, her peaceful slumber captivating me as I admired her morning beauty.

I longed for her to be by my side more often, but deep down, I knew it was an impossible dream. As much as I wanted to hold onto her, I couldn't change our destiny. It was a fate we were bound to accept, no matter how much it pained me.

"I love you so deeply, Freen," I whispered, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead.

Carefully, I freed myself from her embrace and quietly made my way to the bathroom. I took a shower and prepared for the day ahead, making sure not to disturb her sleep as I gathered my belongings outside the room.

"Where are you off to?" Gulf asked, noticing me carrying my luggage. "Heading home?" he inquired.

"Yes, and I won't be returning," I chuckled lightly.

Confusion furrowed Gulf's brow as he glanced into my room and spotted Freen peacefully resting there.

I closed the door behind me, and Gulf covered his mouth in realization of why Freen had been in my room.

"Did something happen between you two?" Gulf asked, his excitement palpable. I nodded in response. "But why are you leaving?"

"I have to. It's a long story," I smiled ruefully, patting his shoulder. "By the way, take care of yourself. If Freen wakes up, let her know that I've already left."

Before Gulf could utter a word, I walked past him, ready to face the difficult path ahead.

Outside the dormitory, I found Seng waiting for me. He had been assigned to escort me to district X, dressed in a tuxedo that amused me.

"Are you attending a funeral?" I quipped, observing his attire. Seng helped me with my luggage and opened the car door. "Thank you."

"Mind if I take the wheel?" I asked him.

"Sure," Seng replied.

As the sun began to rise, casting a warm golden glow over the university, my heart felt heavy with the weight of the decision I had to make. I noticed Freen stepping out of the dormitory, tears streaming down her face. It tore me apart to leave, but it was necessary for the safety of everyone we held dear.

Gripping the steering wheel tightly, I tried to steady my trembling hands. I knew deep down that this was the right thing to do, but it didn't make it any easier. With a deep breath, I made the difficult choice to step out of the car, hoping to bid Freen a proper goodbye.

As I emerged from the car, Freen's eyes widened in disbelief. Gulf, understanding the gravity of the situation, gently held her back, preventing her from running after me. Seeing her struggle against his grasp shattered my heart even more.

Tears streamed down Freen's face as she cried out, her voice filled with anguish. "Becky, please don't go! I can't bear the thought of being without you. We've shared so much. How can I go on without you?"

My own tears fell freely as I took a step closer to Freen. My voice quivered with emotion as I tried to explain. "Freen, you have to understand. This is no longer just about us. I have to leave to ensure everyone's safety, including our friends. I can't risk putting them in danger."

Freen's body trembled, torn between her love for me and the weight of our situation. She sank to her knees, her sobs echoing through the air. It pained me deeply to witness her agony, but I had to stay strong for both of us.

Moving closer to Freen, my voice barely above a whisper, I spoke from the depths of my heart. "I never envisioned our journey ending like this, Freen. You mean the world to me, and this separation is breaking me apart. But we must find the strength within ourselves, for each other and for everyone else. I will carry your love in my heart wherever I go, and I promise, with every fiber of my being, that I will return to you someday."

Freen looked up at me, her eyes reflecting a mixture of pain and love. "Promise me, Becky. Promise me you'll come back. Promise me that this isn't the end for us."

I nodded, tears streaming down my cheeks. "I promise, Freen. I will come back. No matter the obstacles we face, we will find our way back to each other. Even when I am not physically present, our love remains unbreakable."

With a heavy heart, I made my way back to the car, my hand resting on the door handle. I cast one final glance back, etching Freen's tear-stained face into my memory. Taking a deep breath, I closed the door and started driving away, leaving Freen behind. The weight of our separation burdened my heart, but I knew I had to keep moving forward.

As I departed, Freen crumbled to the ground, her sobs resonating through the empty hall. The sight tore at my soul, but I understood that enduring this pain was necessary for the greater good. The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a shadow over Freen as she sat there, lost in her sorrow. In that brightness, I clung to a flicker of hope, knowing that our love would guide us back to each other someday, in some universe.

"How can you make her that promise?" Seng asked.

"I have to offer her some solace, even if it means resorting to a lie. I have no other choice," I replied, my voice filled with resignation.