Chapter 7: A Healing Kiss

"The best feeling in the world is kissing someone for the first time when you've really wanted to kiss them for a long time." -  Anonymous

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Days drifted by in silence, and the news I sought from Freen remained elusive. Some of my fellow students inquired about it, but I assured them that Freen had not yet divulged any information.

I pondered the implications of her revelation. Would they celebrate if she finally spoke? It was a mystery that lingered in my mind.

Today marked the much-anticipated battle in the circular arena. To climb the ranks, each of us had to challenge another student. The crowd was buzzing with excitement, rallying behind Gulf as he stood as the sole representative of Sagittarius in the top ten. Despite the fervent cheers directed at him, Gulf seemed uninterested, only finding solace beside me.

This guy, I thought to myself, will surely be the cause of my untimely demise.

"Why don't you make use of our remaining time and train?" I suggested, hoping to motivate him. Instead of idling next to me on the bleachers, he should be exerting himself and striving to improve.

"I may be the most skilled Sagittarius, but I cannot defeat that Pisces ranked fifth," Gulf pouted, resting his head on my shoulder.

I nudged him, prompting him to look at me with furrowed brows.

"Among all the zodiac signs, Pisces is considered the weakest. Why are you afraid of him?" I inquired, genuinely puzzled.

Gulf sighed deeply and once again rested his head on my shoulder, eliciting an eye roll from me.

"His name is Mew. While Pisces are typically known for their gentle and compassionate nature, he defies expectations. Mew is cold, competitive, and charismatic, which is why he holds the fifth rank. Surprisingly, I'm drawn to him," Gulf confessed, causing my eyes to widen. Just as I was about to respond, Gulf swiftly covered my mouth, signaling for me to remain silent. "Please keep this between us. Mew and I have been secretly seeing each other. One time, someone caught us, and I panicked, so I told them we were just friends and that I had a crush on a newcomer from our block."

"You told them you had feelings for me?" I asked, dumbfounded by the revelation.

Gulf nodded slowly, prompting me to slap my forehead in disbelief.

"So, that's why the other Sagittarius regard me with disdain? They cannot fathom that you like me despite my appearance," I remarked, gesturing toward my face.

"What's wrong with your face? You're stunning, Becky. And perhaps that's the reason why Seng is currently fixated on you," Gulf said, sitting up straighter.

"Who is Seng?" I inquired, realizing that I struggled to remember the names of numerous students.

Blast it all! There are so many students here, and their names slip my mind.

"He's the guy behind the headmistress, the headmistress's only son. He doesn't have a rank," Gulf whispered, causing me to furrow my brow in curiosity.

"Why doesn't he have a rank? What does that mean?" I probed, intrigued by the notion.

"He is a Cetus, the fourteenth zodiac sign. Cetus individuals are born exclusively on March 28 and 29. However, Seng was born on March 27, yet he possesses the unique abilities of a Cetus. Some speculate that he was born exactly at midnight on March 28," Gulf explained.

"If I recall correctly, Cetus can manipulate the mind, weather, and chaos, right?" I sought further clarification.

Gulf nodded, his lips pursed in thought.

"They are considered dangerous. Most zodiac signs fear him, except for the Leos. Their ferocious nature renders them immune to his manipulations," Gulf said, gazing at me before flicking my forehead playfully. "Avoid eye contact with him, or he might gain control over you."

"What about the Ophiuchus? Can he overpower them?" I inquired.

"And do you know why the headmistress expelled the Ophiuchus from this school?" Gulf chuckled. "Ophiuchus individuals can be both preservers and destroyers. They possess overwhelming power. In the wrong hands, their abilities could bring about the annihilation of the universe. Do you grasp the gravity of that?"

I nodded slowly, realizing the gravity of the situation. It seemed Mr. Kugimiya, being an Ophiuchus himself, must be a genuinely benevolent person for the university to stand tall and enjoy relative peace.

"Headmistress, thank you for gracing us with your presence on the training field. Is there anything I can assist you with?" Gulf courteously addressed the headmistress, who promptly shook her head.

Then, she turned her gaze toward me, her crimson eyes gleaming mischievously. I couldn't fathom what she saw, but her smile provoked an unsettling sensation in my stomach. I coughed up blood, and Gulf rushed to my side, rubbing my back with concern.

"Calm down, she's testing you," Gulf whispered, attempting to alleviate my distress.

I struggled to regain my composure, but the pain persisted, coursing through my body like a relentless force. It felt as though my bones were being fractured from within, forcing me to kneel in agony.

"Headmistress, Ms. Chankimha is waiting outside the training field," a girl interjected, desperately trying to capture the attention of the headmistress.

"Oh, is she here to see me?" the headmistress inquired.

Based on her tone, it seemed she, too, harbored fear toward Freen.

"No, she claimed that you were bullying her friend," the girl revealed. Everyone's eyes widened, including mine. Friend? Since when did we become friends?

"She's friends with this?" the headmistress sneered, delivering a swift kick to my stomach, causing more blood to spill from my lips. She attempted to grab my hair, but instead, she clutched onto Freen's. She had moved so swiftly that we hadn't even noticed her entering the field. Just as quickly, the headmistress released her grip and beckoned her son, informing him that they were leaving the training ground.

"Are you alright?" Gulf inquired with genuine concern. However, before he could reach me, he was flung toward a target, luckily devoid of any arrows.

I glanced at Freen, still coughing up blood, the pain unrelenting. Yet, she remained calm, touching the crimson liquid on the ground before promptly cleaning it with her handkerchief. She even removed her vest and handed it to me, ensuring that any subsequent coughs would not stain my clothes.

Freen left no trace of my blood on the floor, and then she met my gaze with an expressionless face, leaning in closer. My eyes widened as she pressed her lips against mine.

I instinctively attempted to pull away, but she held the back of my neck firmly, deepening the kiss. Initially, I couldn't comprehend why she would do such a thing in front of everyone, but as the pain subsided, understanding washed over me.

Freen's kiss possessed the power to purify individuals.

Afterward, she gently wiped my lips and aided me in standing. I couldn't help but wonder if she bestowed her other gifts upon others through similar acts. Was she kissing others to help them too?

And why did I feel a pang of jealousy?

Freen chuckled, observing my irritated expression.

"What?" I asked, my brows furrowed. Surprisingly, I found the courage to speak to her with ease.

Freen shook her head, offering me support as we made our way outside the field.

A/N: Next year again. JK.