Chapter 17: Lingering Guilt

"Like everybody and trust no one." - Lauren Conrad

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

As I opened my eyes, the first person I saw beside me was Freen. She sat peacefully on the chair, her head resting on my bed as she slept. The sight of her brought a smile to my face; she was as stunning as ever. Even with her closed eyes, I could sense the worry etched on her face. I couldn't help but chuckle when I noticed her index finger lightly holding onto my little finger. She didn't want to wake me, but she couldn't sleep without the faintest touch of my skin.

"You're awake," Mr. Kugimiya whispered, careful not to disturb Freen. "How are you feeling?" he asked, glancing at the monitor in front of him.

"Much better. What happened?" I inquired, forcing a tight smile.

"You've been asleep for nearly two weeks," he replied, jotting something down in the folder he carried.

"What? Two weeks?" I exclaimed, turning towards Freen, who had just woken up due to my sudden raise in voice. "What do you mean I've been asleep for two weeks? What happened?" I questioned again.

"When you fell, the snake in the arena died as well. It was as if the two of you were connected. The serpent's venom almost claimed your life. Freen's kiss didn't work, but thankfully, your blood cleansed itself," Mr. Kugimiya explained.

I looked at Freen, her smile tinged with sadness. Her eyes were swollen and weary. Had she been the one by my side for the past two weeks?

"What did the headmistress say? Did she find out that I'm an Ophiuchus?" I asked, my worry evident.

"No," he shook his head. "Seng erased the memories of those who witnessed it."

My head sank as I pictured Mario being consumed by the serpent. He was the only casualty that day, and it was my fault. I had killed a fellow student.

"Can Seng erase the memories of everyone in the school?" I inquired.

"Unfortunately, no. Erasing the memories of a hundred students would weaken him. Erasing a thousand would kill him. Every ability has its limits, Becky," Mr. Kugimiya comforted, patting my shoulder.

"Where is he?" I asked. "I need to thank him."

"For what?" Freen's voice erupted.

Oops. I had forgotten she was there.

"He did it to save me from his mother's cruelty," I replied. "Isn't that reason enough?"

Freen huffed and crossed her arms, anger etched on her face.

"In case you've forgotten, he's the reason you're in this state. He used you to control that giant serpent because he couldn't unleash it himself. He's the reason you have to stay here for another month, Becky!" Freen yelled, but I only looked at him.

"But if he hadn't done that, I would have lost to Mario," I met her gaze, and she couldn't respond. "He helped me during the battle, Freen."

"It was for his own benefit. He didn't help you," Freen attempted to brainwash me, but I offered her a bitter smile.

"It's my choice whether to thank him or not," I said, pursing my lips.

Freen reached out for my hand, but instead of making contact, she flew to the other side of the lab, causing Mr. Kugimiya's belongings to shatter. Blood was scattered everywhere from the impact, and shards of glass cut her arms.

"Freen!" I exclaimed, moving to help her, but Mr. Kugimiya held me back.

He rushed to her side, helping her to stand. Freen nodded repeatedly, assuring us she was fine. Mr. Kugimiya offered to tend to her wounds, but she declined and turned her gaze towards me. It was a look of disappointment.

Freen left the lab, leaving me with a heavy heart filled with regret.

"You're transforming into an Ophiuchus, Becky. However, you can't control it," Mr. Kugimiya said, reaching for my hand, but nothing happened to him. "Someone triggered your ability, causing it to manifest at the wrong time." He examined my palm and shook his head.

"What should I do?"

"You have to stay here and isolate yourself from others for the time being. You need to learn to control it so you won't unintentionally harm anyone," he suggested.

"But who will train me? Freen can't handle the energy I release," I lowered my head, anxiously studying my hands.

"I can," a voice came from the door, and I turned to see who it was.

"Seng, you're here," Mr. Kugimiya greeted him with a smile.

Before Mr. Kugimiya could approach him, I tugged at his lab coat and whispered, "Can I trust him?"

He smiled and shook his head. "Trust no one, Becky. Not even me."