Chapter 28: Real Adversary

"If you let them kill you, they will." - Charles Bukowski

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Upon arriving in district X, Seng immediately returned to the university while I made my way home. As I entered our house, I noticed that everything remained unchanged. The cleanliness mirrored my mother's daily efforts. Setting my bags down in the living room, I headed to her room, only to find it empty. I checked her favorite spot, the kitchen, but she wasn't there either.

Could she have left? But she was ill and could barely move when I left. Wait.

A thought flashed in my mind, causing my heart to race. It couldn't be.

I rushed outside and noticed my neighbors looking at me with concern, a sight I hadn't seen before.

"Excuse me, have you seen my mother?" I asked a girl standing outside our gate. "Do you know where she went?"

"You're Rebecca, right?" she replied, and I nodded. "Your mother passed away almost a year ago. Didn't you know?"

Her revelation struck me, and I took a step back. My mother had died a year ago? Right after I went to the university? She died on that day, in the midst of the rain, begging for me to come back?

"Where is her grave?" I managed to ask, my voice trembling.

"If I'm not mistaken, she was buried in the most expensive grave. Someone paid for it," the girl explained, and I nodded, understanding where it was. It would take me a few minutes to walk there.

As I entered the graveyard, I spotted a mausoleum intended for her.

Who could have paid for this? It must have been quite costly.

I stepped inside and saw her tomb, and that sight alone caused tears to well up.

"Mom!" I cried out, dropping to my knees before her grave. "I'm sorry..."

Lowering my head, I let the tears stream down my cheeks, unable to bear the pain.

"While I was out there, enjoying the food inside the cafeteria, you were here all alone. You were suffering, and I wasn't there to help you. I forgot that I have a mother outside," I sobbed. "Mom, I'm sorry..."

"She must have been a good mother," someone said behind me.

I turned around to locate the source of the voice. The person appeared older than Mr. Kugimiya, though they seemed to be around the same age. I hadn't seen him before, and I wasn't sure if he was acquainted with my mother.

"Becky Armstrong?" he inquired, stepping into the mausoleum. "Finally, we meet," he said.

"Who are you? And how do you know my name?" I asked, puzzled.

"I'll explain later, but first, let me tell you what I know about your mom," he replied, glancing at the grave with a bitter smile.

"What about her?"

"Your mom was a great leader. She was born in district A, a lady born with a silver spoon," he began, biting his lip. "She entered EAU when she was only seven years old but didn't have the opportunity to achieve a rank."

"What do you mean she went to EAU? Was my mother also gifted?" I inquired.

The man nodded. "She possessed great power. She was an Ophiuchus."

My eyes widened in astonishment. My mom was just like me.

"She was extraordinary in every way—beauty, talent, intellect, and abilities. She had it all, and she never sought anything else. She didn't compete with others; she enhanced her abilities in solitude. However, your mother was too remarkable to be believed. Some students thought she pretended to be good so people wouldn't suspect her, but your mother proved them wrong," the man continued, retrieving a ring from his pocket.

"Isn't that the former headmistress's ring?" I asked.

"No, this is mine," he chuckled. "I gave the matching ring to your mother, who became the headmistress because of her unique strategies and abilities. It helped her control her energy, preventing it from going berserk."

"Are you my mother's lover?" I asked, attempting to process everything.

"I am your father, Becky," he revealed. "Your grandparents couldn't accept me because I am a Pisces, so your mother gave up everything to be with me here in district X. After you were born, another Ophiuchus saw a prophecy that one Ophiuchus would be killed by another Ophiuchus. Since there were only four people back then, they believed your mother was the one destined to kill, so they planned to eliminate her."

"And they call themselves brilliant? What the heck?" I exclaimed in disbelief.

"So I tried to change it. I went to their house and killed them when their guards were down," he said, lowering his head.

"Don't tell me the family you killed was Freen's?" I asked angrily. "Why did you do that? Why did you let the prophecy come true?" I yelled at him.

"Because I had no choice! If I didn't, they would have killed your mom! And your mother sacrificed everything to be with me. I couldn't let that happen. I'd rather let her go than see her dead," he explained, his words resonating with me.

I had done the same. I had chosen to let go of Freen rather than be the cause of her demise.

"But Freen was there when you killed them, right?" I asked, seeking confirmation. He nodded. "Then why didn't you?"

"Kill her?" he asked. "Because your mom saw a prophecy that the child of our enemies would make our child stronger. She was destined to live and be killed because of that person."

Now, I realized that the prophecy wouldn't change, no matter how hard we tried.

"Come with me. Let's go back to the EAU."