Chapter 20: Headmistress's Request

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

In the early morning hours, the headmistress summoned Seng and me. Anxious thoughts raced through my mind, wondering if she had somehow discovered our conversation from the previous day. However, upon entering her office, I was relieved to see her greeting us with a peculiar smile—a smile that carried neither happiness nor a hint of smugness.

Seng, showing disrespect towards his mother, threw himself onto the couch. The headmistress immediately reprimanded him, reminding him to sit properly and show respect not only to her but also to his fellow students. With a reluctant grimace, he reluctantly complied.

The headmistress then turned her attention to me, motioning for me to take a seat. I obliged, and she smiled as she presented a collection of pictures depicting various themes for the party to be held at the main building of EAU. She explained her desire to alleviate the students' stress by organizing a party, and she wanted Seng and me to take charge of the decorations. Excitement gleamed in her eyes as she shared her plans.

Yet, deep down, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to her enthusiasm. It seemed as though she was intentionally keeping us occupied, perhaps to meticulously plot her own scheme. Despite my reluctance, I knew I had no choice but to comply. Resigned, I inquired about the date of the party, eager to begin preparations immediately.

"The party will be held tomorrow evening," the headmistress responded with an enthusiastic tone, flipping through the school calendar. Seng and I exchanged incredulous glances, taken aback by the short notice.

"Headmistress, preparing for a ball party in just one day will be quite challenging," I tried to reason with her, but she appeared to ignore my concerns. Frustrated and left with no alternative, I acquiesced. "Very well."

Seng reached out to hold my hand, but an electric current seemed to surge through me, prompting me to pull away. Bewildered, he questioned my actions, and I simply shook my head, avoiding eye contact with the headmistress, and swiftly exited the office. Seng trailed behind me, attempting to engage me in conversation, but I chose to ignore him until we reached the main hall—the designated venue for the party.

Overwhelmed by frustration, I turned to Seng, shooting him an intense glare, and vented my exasperation. As we stood alone in the empty hall, devoid of students who were currently occupied in the underground training field, I voiced my concerns.

"We'll need someone with exceptional strength and agility to move the decorations easily," I lamented.

Suddenly, from a distance, I heard Irin's voice. She appeared, wearing a bright smile that stretched from ear to ear, and volunteered herself for the task. Utilizing her telekinetic abilities, she effortlessly maneuvered chairs and tables through the air, each object finding its designated place with precision.

"You've arrived at the perfect time!" I exclaimed, relieved by her timely assistance.

And so, the three of us found ourselves in the main hall, fatigued but determined to prepare for the upcoming party. The chosen theme was "constellations," and although weariness weighed heavy on our bodies, a surge of joy and anticipation filled my heart as we set about transforming the space.

Irin's telekinetic prowess mesmerized me as she gracefully guided boxes of decorations through the air, effortlessly settling them into their rightful positions. Her satisfaction and sense of achievement radiated from her face, mirroring the awe I felt witnessing her extraordinary talent. It was as if the very air around us shimmered with the magic of her abilities.

As the one renowned for my discerning taste and eye for aesthetics, I assumed the role of overseeing the overall design. The exhaustion seemed to fade away as I made swift decisions on the placement of each decoration. A thrilling rush of creativity replaced the weariness, fueled by the vision I held in my mind's eye. With each adjustment and arrangement, I drew closer to realizing my vision, and a sense of fulfillment and happiness surged within me.

Seng, driven by his unwavering passion for creativity, poured his energy into embellishing the stage. His contagious enthusiasm filled the room, lifting our spirits and reigniting our excitement. With a broad grin adorning his face, he meticulously adorned the stage with shimmering starry backdrops and twinkling lights. The sight was nothing short of magical, and I couldn't help but share in his joy. Together, we breathed life into the stage, transforming it into a vibrant centerpiece that would captivate the guests and immerse them in the enchantment of the chosen theme.

Despite the persistent fatigue, our shared camaraderie and the joy we derived from our work propelled us forward. Laughter echoed through the hall, infusing us with energy and pushing aside the weariness. We cheered one another on, appreciating the progress we made as a team. In those moments, the exhaustion felt inconsequential compared to the sheer happiness and excitement that permeated the air.

As we continued to bring our vision to life, the main hall underwent a magical transformation. The ceiling became adorned with a myriad of gleaming paper stars, their points twinkling with delight as if mirroring the vastness of the night sky. Celestial banners billowed gently from the rafters, depicting constellations in intricate detail, beckoning guests into a realm of wonder.

In the center of the room, a large circular table awaited its finishing touches. We meticulously arranged star-shaped plates and glasses adorned with sparkling constellations, adding an elegant and whimsical touch. The tablecloth, a midnight blue fabric adorned with shimmering silver stars, completed the celestial scene, infusing the setting with a sense of enchantment.

Stepping back to admire our work, a surge of accomplishment and pure happiness washed over me. The main hall had been transformed into a breathtaking celestial realm, surpassing even my own expectations.

"Finally!" Irin exclaimed, unable to contain her excitement as she embraced me tightly.

Instinctively, I prepared to step back, wary of the potential danger our physical contact might pose to her. Yet, to my surprise, she remained unfazed. Curiosity piqued, I glanced at Seng, who subtly gestured for me to look at my neck. It was then that I noticed the necklace he had placed on me while we were working. It seemed to act as a limiter, preventing me from exerting too much energy and allowing me to control my abilities more effectively.

"Thank you," I mouthed silently, offering him a grateful smile.

Seng nodded in acknowledgment, his eyes gleaming with satisfaction as he cast another gaze over the transformed venue.