Chapter 10: Lost Promises

"I hate liking someone I don't have a chance with." -  Anonymous

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Freak!" The taunting voices of children echoed as I stood there, battered and bruised, blood staining my once pristine white shirt. They continued their relentless assault, hurling stones at me, enraged because I had allowed a snake to escape, thwarting their malicious intentions. It seemed my ability to communicate with serpents was reason enough for them to target me.

Amidst the chaos, a boy, known as Non, emerged as my unlikely savior. He possessed incredible talents, making him the pride of district X. With his charming looks, everyone predicted he would skyrocket in popularity once he entered the prestigious Elysian Astral University (EAU).

"Thank you," I managed to mutter, wiping the blood from my lips.

After releasing the boy's frozen hand, Non gestured for the others to retreat, and they hastily scattered.

"I've told you not to venture out," Non said, concern etched on his face. "Some children are yet to comprehend the significance of our gifts." He brushed the dust off his pants and regarded me with worry. "Did you come to see me off?"

I nodded slowly. Non was leaving for EAU, embarking on a journey of study. They said he would remain there until graduation, except for occasional visits to district X, when summoned.

"You'll come back, right?" I asked, yearning for assurance.

Non playfully ruffled my hair and nodded.

"I will return for you. And when I become one of the top 10 students at EAU, I'll take you with me, showcasing all my accomplishments." Non smiled warmly, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead.

That day, I clung to his promise. However, as the years passed, Non only returned once. And on that occasion, he ignored me completely, claiming to be a stranger to his friends.

Who would be proud to call someone like me, someone poorer than rats, their friend? I understood our contrasting statuses back then and resolved to focus on my own life. I tried to forget him, but his name was constantly on everyone's lips, until I could no longer recall his face. I knew him as Non, but his visage eluded my memory.

"Please, try to remember me, Becky," Non pleaded, but I gently removed his hands from me.

"I have many obligations, and reminiscing about you is not my priority." With those words, I left the room, leaving him dumbfounded.

Irin watched me, silently following as I strode past, heading towards the cafeteria. I needed to return to Freen, to dedicate myself to rigorous training, proving to Non that the person he abandoned and dismissed was stronger than him.

By surpassing him in the rankings and reclaiming my family's reputation in district X, I would make him regret his actions.

"What happened, Becky? Did Non say something?" Irin inquired, catching up with me.

Just as I was about to speak, a solitary tear slipped down my cheek. The pain of the past rendered me speechless. Suddenly, a warm hand reached for mine, and when I turned to look, I found my mentor standing by my side.

Freen bowed her head, silently signaling that she would take me away from Irin. Despite being the highest-ranked student, she understood the importance of respecting others.

Freen guided me into my room, gently laying me on the bed. She handed me a handkerchief and gestured for me to let my tears flow. I broke down, unable to contain the pain that consumed me.

I thought I had already forgotten the past. I believed that seeing him again would not affect me. Yet, the anguish he inflicted lingered, causing me immense suffering. He was the only one who had believed in me, but when he rejected me that day, my confidence shattered.

"Stop crying. He doesn't deserve a single tear," Freen said, leaning in to kiss my eyes, surprising me with her tenderness. She looked at me, her eyes filled with concern, as she wiped away my tears and caressed my cheeks.

In that moment, I wondered what it would be like to be her girlfriend—to be with someone so strong, intelligent, and compassionate towards those she loved. Perhaps she concealed her softer side to protect herself from being taken advantage of.

"Enough now. You're no longer that vulnerable and naive newcomer. You're my student now, and I won't let anyone hurt you," she whispered, planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"Are you just using sweet words to placate me?" I asked, my eyes still brimming with tears.

Freen lightly flicked my forehead and sat beside me, allowing me to rest my head on her shoulder. She let out a sigh before responding.

"That's your love language, isn't it? Words of affirmation," Freen chuckled. "But perhaps it's time for you to change."

"I didn't realize you were a mind-reader," I retorted, rolling my eyes.

"I'm not. It's simply written all over your eyes," Freen replied, reaching for my hand and intertwining her fingers with mine. "I'll shower you with sweet words when you deserve them. So, don't worry about others. Focus on your goals."

"But will you still do the same if your girlfriend returns?" I asked, my voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Of course, Love is a very understanding person," Freen assured me, a smile gracing her lips. "She hasn't even heard my voice yet, you know?"

Confusion creased my brow. Was Love the 10th-ranked person Irin had mentioned before—the one who was always by her side?

"Get ready, we have late-night training. No slacking off!" Freen patted my shoulder before leaving the room.

Is it wrong for me to wish that I held a special place in your heart? I yearn to be Love, to be your girlfriend.