Chapter 30: Final Battle

"You're the light I can never have and I'm the darkness you'll never succumb to." - Jeaniene Frost

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

I found myself locked in a fierce battle against Non, our powers clashing in a breathtaking display of strength. The air crackled with energy as Non summoned icy gusts, creating a frigid barrier around himself. In response, I commanded a colossal serpent, its scales shimmering with a palpable aura of power.

With unwavering determination, Non soared through the air, utilizing his ability to manipulate currents. He unleashed a barrage of sharp ice shards aimed at me, hoping to breach my defenses. However, my serpent proved to be nimble, effortlessly evading the icy assault.

Fueled by a surge of adrenaline, I directed my serpent to strike back. It lunged at Non with swift and relentless force, jaws gaping wide, revealing its lethal fangs. Non displayed remarkable agility, skillfully evading the serpent's attack and maneuvering through the air to escape its grasp.

Undeterred, Non conjured a blizzard, enveloping us in freezing winds. The temperature plummeted, and ice began to encroach upon my serpent's massive form. Yet, my unwavering determination urged the serpent to thrash wildly, shattering the encroaching ice and liberating itself.

"Stop it, Non! Bring Freen to me!" I shouted.

"If you won't kill her, we will!" he retorted.

As the battle raged on, both Non and I sustained wounds. Non's body bore deep gashes from my serpent's fangs, staining the pristine snow beneath us with his blood. I, too, felt the sting of Non's icy onslaught, my skin marked with cuts and bruises. But despite our injuries, we pressed on, our resolve growing stronger with each passing moment.

"In two minutes, the ice will melt, and the headmistress will take aim at her heart. You don't have to dirty your hands, Becky," Non smirked.

"No one should lay a finger on my girl!" I hissed.

In a final, desperate move, I seized control of my serpent, commanding it to strike Non with all its might. The serpent coiled around Non, its incredible strength crushing him mercilessly.

Suddenly, a wave of realization washed over me—what had I done? It was too late to halt the serpent's grip from tightening, inadvertently snuffing out Non's life.

A heavy silence settled upon the battlefield as I gazed at Non's lifeless body, tears welling in my eyes. Victory tasted bitter in my mouth as I grappled with the unintended consequence of our intense battle.

"Are you okay?" Non laughed when he saw me stumble on the floor. He extended his hand and helped me stand up. "What will you do if I go to that school? You can't even walk properly." Non chuckled and brushed the dust off my hand.

"Are you going to leave me here? Is that your final decision?" I asked, lowering my head in sadness.

"As much as I want to stay with you, I can't. I have to be strong," he replied, wrapping his arms around me as we both looked at the sunset. "To protect this district, to protect my family, and to protect you, Becky." He smiled sweetly at me, prompting a smile to form on my lips.

"You're not going to protect me. You were laughing a moment ago," I said, pouting my lips.

"But I removed the dust from your hands," Non chuckled. "I won't let your hands get dirty, Becky. In the future, I'll take care of everything so you won't be burdened."

"Promise?" I asked, extending my little finger.

"Promise," Non accepted, and we both laughed.

With a heavy heart, I stood up and ran toward Freen, but I was too late. The headmistress was already there. The ice melted, and she was about to stab Freen's heart when I intervened. I hastily snatched the dagger from her hands and stabbed her, but it seemed she was immune to it.

The headmistress removed the dagger from her heart as if it were a mere toy. My head spun, and I nearly stumbled to the ground, but I grasped onto a pillar, trying to regain my balance.

I could see myself stabbing Freen in the chest, and the next moment, I was reviving her after the headmistress lay lifeless on the ground.

That's it! I have to kill Freen, and then I have to kill the headmistress.

In a swift motion, I picked up the dagger and plunged it into Freen's chest. Her eyes opened, and she coughed up blood because of what I had done.

"Rest peacefully, love. I'll come back for you later." I kissed her forehead, but the headmistress swiftly grabbed my head and crushed it against the pillar, intensifying my dizziness.

I could no longer see properly. Everything was a blur of blood, and the pain numbed me. I felt my body meet the coldness of the floor. I struggled to open my eyes, and when I glimpsed light, I saw the headmistress wielding a large stone, ready to smash it onto me.

I'm sorry, Freen. This isn't what my prophecy foretold. Perhaps I can save you in my next life.

And with that, everything faded to black.

To be continued...