Chapter 5: Rank 6 Sagittarian

"There's never a reason to trust someone. If there's a reason, then it's not trust." ~ Gerald Morris

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The following morning, every freshman at EAU was required to attend the orientation held in the main building. Uniformity was evident among the students, with slight variations based on the zodiac signs represented by embroidered logos on their vests and the choice of colors.

All students were dressed in white long-sleeved shirts, covered by vests in their respective zodiac's designated color. Girls wore skirts, while boys donned slacks. The main colors for each zodiac sign were as follows: Leo - gold, Capricorn - gray, Scorpio - black, Aries - red, Taurus - green, Sagittarius - purple. Other zodiac colors included brown for Virgo, pink for Libra, blue for Aquarius, silver for Cancer, yellow for Gemini, and light green for Pisces.

As I entered the main hall, all eyes were on me, particularly drawn to my gloves. Some freshmen no longer needed to wear gloves since they had completed their examinations. To avoid drawing attention, I decided to remove my gloves and discreetly stow them in my bag. It was crucial for me to keep my true identity hidden, as an Ophiuchus, revealing myself could cost me my life.

"Isn't she the girl from yesterday? The one Nat saved?" whispered a girl, her eyes scanning me from head to toe before rolling her eyes as our gazes met. She wore a brown vest, signifying her as a Virgo.

"Hey, damsel in distress!" someone jeered, tossing a bottle of water my way, which unfortunately hit me on the head. "After this orientation, meet me in the parking lot. I'll show you what real pleasure is," he taunted, joined by his friends' laughter.

I averted my gaze, ignoring their crude remarks. Another guy attempted to lift my skirt, but a swift stack of papers slapped him across the face. I turned to see Irin, smirking at him and gesturing for him to behave.

That was when I realized the top 20 students of the school were present. Freen glanced at me, quickly looking away when our eyes met. Nat was dozing off in his chair, while Heng shot him furious glances. Three guys sat between Heng and Saint, wearing gray, light green, and purple—fellow Sagittarians.

There's a Sagittarius in the top 10.

"Sit down, damsel in distress!" someone yelled from afar, causing me to lower my head in embarrassment as the other students laughed.

Supposedly, the speech was meant to be delivered by the top-ranked student, but Freen declined. Nat was fast asleep, and Heng's lips were still swollen. Therefore, the fourth guy, wearing a captivating smile that could make any girl swoon, stood up. However, it didn't affect me in the slightest. I was uninterested; all I wanted was to escape this place and return to my mother.

"I don't know, even Bright is incredibly handsome, but my eyes can't leave Freen. She's both stunning and handsome," giggled my seatmate, her friend nodding in agreement.

"If I were a man, I'd gather the courage to ask her out, even if it meant Heng would try to kill me. At least I'd have tried," her friend exclaimed.

"Do you think Heng has feelings for her?" my seatmate inquired.

"Who wouldn't like her?" Her friend rolled her eyes before noticing me and offering a friendly smile. "You're the girl Nat saved yesterday, right?"

I nodded slowly.

"Don't worry, we won't bully you. Nat's a good guy. He only helps those who have been bullied by Heng because he can't stand him," my seatmate assured me, and I nodded in understanding.

After the orientation, I returned to our dormitory and rested for a while before heading to the training field. With all the other students in the cafeteria, I had the field to myself, allowing me time to practice my archery skills.

I attempted to handle the bow and set up some arrows, but my aim fell short, missing even the outer edges of the target. As a Sagittarius, I should excel at this, and any signs of incompetence could arouse suspicion.

"Practicing alone?" a guy suddenly approached, catching me off guard. Panicking, I hastily concealed the bow behind me. The guy chuckled and walked closer. "I'm Gulf, the highest-ranked Sagittarius."

Glancing at his uniform, I noticed he was the one standing beside Saint—the rank 6 Sagittarius. Was he here to mock me as well?

"It's unusual to see a Sagittarius struggling with aiming," Gulf remarked, reaching for my bow and grabbing an arrow from the bag behind me. He closed his eyes, positioning himself, and released the arrow, hitting the bullseye effortlessly. "Which district are you from?" he asked.

"I'm from District X," I replied.

Gulf nodded, returning my bow. He gently ruffled my hair, chuckling softly.

"Keep practicing if you don't want anyone to suspect you're an Ophiuchus," Gulf advised, winking at me before departing to get himself a bow and arrow. 

No, I couldn't stay here any longer. I needed to escape, to return to my mother.