Chapter 16: Hidden Ability

"No matter how snake sheds skin. It is still a snake." -  Anonymous.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

I awoke to the faint murmurs of other Sagittarius rushing down the stairs, eager to witness the fight in the circular arena. Blinking away sleep, I quickly dressed in my uniform and made my way to the bleachers, joining the throng of spectators. This particular match piqued my curiosity, featuring combatants from a surprisingly low rank—Charlotte, the 12th, and Love, the 10th. I wondered who had challenged whom, as the mismatched pair intrigued me.

Charlotte, a fierce and agile fighter, exuded determination as she poised herself at one end of the arena. On the opposite side stood Love, an enigmatic presence with a mischievous smile. The clash of their powers promised a truly unforgettable spectacle.

The fight commenced as Charlotte unleashed a swarm of venomous insects, deftly commanded by her hand. The buzzing cloud surged towards Love, only to pass harmlessly through her illusory projection. Love then revealed her true strength, multiplying herself into numerous replicas that overwhelmed Charlotte with their sheer numbers.

Undeterred, Charlotte summoned thick, toxic vines from the ground, aiming to ensnare Love and shatter her illusions. Yet Love effortlessly danced between the vines, her clones mirroring her every move. It was a mesmerizing display, leaving Charlotte uncertain of which Love was real.

Refusing to yield, Charlotte released a wave of poisonous mist, hoping to disorient Love and reveal her true form. However, Love skillfully countered with her illusionary abilities, projecting multiple versions of herself amid the mist. I strained to catch a glimpse of the real Love, but she seamlessly blended with her illusions.

As the battle raged on, Charlotte's poisonous attacks took their toll, causing Love's clones to fade away one by one. Nevertheless, Love's determination only grew stronger. She summoned her most potent illusion yet—a swirling mirage of darkness and shadow that engulfed the entire warehouse.

Caught within the disorienting illusion, Charlotte struggled to maintain her focus. Her insect manipulation became erratic, turning her venomous creatures against her. Overwhelmed by her own creations, she fought desperately to break free, but Love's illusions held her captive.

With a surge of energy, Love emerged from the darkness, her illusions fading away. Approaching Charlotte with newfound confidence, triumph gleaming in her eyes, Love emerged as the victor. The crowd erupted into applause as Love extended a helping hand to Charlotte.

As the spectators applauded, I caught sight of Freen across the arena. She wasn't watching the fight, though; her gaze was fixed on me. I broke eye contact, noticing Irin in the distance. I waved at her, and she gracefully made her way over to me.

However, before I could invite Irin to join me in the cafeteria, a fellow Sagittarius approached, holding a medal in his hand. Irin looked at him with surprise as he introduced himself as Mario, the 11th-ranked student. With a cheeky smile, he challenged me to a fight, stating that the headmistress had given them the freedom to challenge anyone they wished.

Irin and I found ourselves at a loss, uncertain of how to respond. Reluctantly, I accepted the medal, realizing that I had no choice but to fight for my reputation. Although I didn't seek attention, it seemed that fate had other plans for me.

The circular arena was abuzz with excitement as spectators filled the stands, their eager whispers blending into a steady hum of anticipation. I stood in one corner, my heart pounding in my chest, while Mario confidently took his position in the opposite corner. Renowned for his skill in archery and animal manipulation, he presented a formidable challenge.

As the bell rang, I tightened my grip on the half heart-shaped pendant hanging around my neck. Concealed within me was the power to manipulate serpents, a secret ability known only to myself. Mario smirked, convinced of his advantage. Little did he know that the tables were about to turn.

Drawing an arrow from his quiver, Mario expertly notched it onto his bowstring, his gaze fixed on me. With a swift release, the arrow hurtled towards me with deadly accuracy. Focusing my mind, I summoned the pendant's ethereal light, and a massive serpent materialized beside me.

The crowd gasped in awe and surprise as the colossal serpent coiled protectively around me, its unwavering gaze fixed upon Mario. Momentarily thrown off by the serpent's sudden appearance, Mario faltered. Seizing the opportunity, I evaded his subsequent arrow attacks with grace and agility.

Growing increasingly frustrated, Mario struggled to regain control of the situation. With a flick of my wrist, the serpent lunged towards him, baring its fangs menacingly. Mario fought desperately to defend himself, attempting to ward off the serpent's relentless assault.

The crowd erupted into a mix of awe and disbelief. My hidden power surged forth, augmenting the serpent's ferocity and determination, overpowering Mario's defenses. Fear and realization flashed in his eyes as he acknowledged his grave underestimation of my abilities.

With a final strike, the serpent wrapped itself around Mario, constricting tightly and rendering him immobile. Victory was mine.

Surveying the astounded onlookers in the arena, I noticed the fear and shock reflected in Freen's, Gulf's, and Irin's eyes. The serpent, however, displayed uncontrolled aggression, causing chaos as it devoured Mario, sending the crowd fleeing in panic.

I struggled to regain control over the serpent, realizing that it was the pendant Irin had given me that triggered its uncontrollable behavior. In her shock, I doubted she knew the true extent of its power. On the opposite side of the arena, I saw Seng, entertained by the spectacle, holding a necklace—a reminder that he had orchestrated this event. But now, I was powerless to control it.

Freen, Heng, and Saint positioned themselves nearby, shouting for me to leave the arena, but the serpent wrapped itself protectively around me. It seemed as though it recognized me as its charge.

Immobile and helpless, I gestured to my friends, silently urging them not to intervene. I gently caressed the serpent's ivory scales, and it responded by nudging my hand, seeking my touch like an affectionate puppy.

As the headmistress entered the arena, the serpent became agitated, poised to attack her. Reacting swiftly, I sprinted towards her, attempting to shield her from harm. In the chaotic exchange, the serpent sank its venomous fangs into my arm, injecting its poison into my veins. Falling to the ground, the last person I saw was Freen, tearfully rushing towards me before everything went black.

Damn it. The venom coursed through my veins, and darkness consumed me.