Chapter 2: The Perilous Demon

"The most dangerous person is the one who listens, thinks and observes." - Bruce Lee

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

I walked through the bustling hallway of EAU's main building, my footsteps heavy with uncertainty. As I made my way, I noticed fellow students giving me curious looks, their eyes drawn to the gloves I wore.

Mr. Kugimiya had given me these gloves, warning me about a potential danger associated with being an Ophiuchus. I didn't fully understand what it meant, but he explained that Ophiuchus possess dangerous abilities. The university had a strict policy that any living Ophiuchus would be immediately executed due to their lethal touch. To protect others, I had to wear the gloves for now. Mr. Kugimiya, acting like a concerned father, assured me that I would be a Sagittarius and that he would always keep me safe. Though I didn't know him well, his caring demeanor was evident.

As I walked, I overheard one student say, "Damn, Freen is stunning. I wonder why she never talks to anyone." The hall was buzzing with excitement because of a girl named Freen.

Suddenly, Freen stood before me, her gaze sweeping over me from head to toe. Her presence felt intimidating, and I found it hard to breathe in her powerful aura.

What does she want from me?

Freen continued on her way, and the students who had been watching eagerly returned to their own activities. However, a girl approached me, shouting from a distance.

"Excuse me! Excuse me!" she called out, hurrying toward me.

The crowd dispersed, and I found myself face to face with the girl, who immediately latched onto my arm. Startled, I instinctively stepped back. "Oh, you're a Sagittarian. My apologies," she said with a smile.

"The lab expert advised me to avoid physical contact with others for now. I'm Becky, Rebecca Patricia Armstrong," I explained, offering a small bow.

"The love expert? Ah, you mean Mr. Kugimiya, the attractive guy who lives in the laboratory. I'm Irin," she said, extending her hand towards me. I hesitated, realizing I couldn't shake her hand due to the gloves.

"Sorry, but I can't shake hands. I don't know if this gloves work," I said, feeling a bit awkward. Irin laughed, seemingly understanding.

"No problem at all. Anyway, I'm here to introduce you to the other zodiacs, as instructed by the headmistress. But let me properly introduce myself first," Irin said, positioning herself in front of me with a bright smile. "My name is Urassaya, but everyone calls me Irin. I'm a Cancer, not the disease, but the zodiac sign. I'm ranked 19th here, and I've been assigned to give you a tour of EAU and introduce you to this new world."

I couldn't help but smile at Irin's cheerful presence. She stood out from the other students who had given me piercing looks earlier. I was relieved that Freen had passed by so quickly.

"I'm sure you're curious about the girl who just walked past us and why everyone was so captivated by her," Irin remarked, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Yes, who is she? And what's with her intense aura?" I asked, intrigued.

Irin made a move to put her arm around me, but I instinctively stepped back, concerned for her safety.

"Alright, let's head to the cafeteria while I fill you in," Irin suggested, leading the way as I followed. "Freen is known as the perilous demon of EAU. She's a Leo, the most powerful zodiac sign here. It's incredible—she arrived when she was just 10 years old and quickly rose to become the top-ranked student, surpassing everyone else. Her skills are unmatched; she's practically invincible."

I nodded, trying to absorb all the information. The fear I felt towards Freen only deepened.

"But here's the thing—she never speaks. Not a single word has ever escaped her lips. Rumors circulate that her saliva holds some sort of power, capable of healing or killing, which is why she refuses to open her mouth. No one has ever heard her speak, not even the students ranked 10th who interact with her every day," Irin explained, shrugging her shoulders. She then looked at me mischievously and added, "Now, we've arrived at the cafeteria, the only safe haven within EAU. Battles are strictly forbidden here, lest students go without food for a week. Except, of course, for Freen. She's the exception to the rule," Irin chuckled, motioning for me to follow her.

As we entered, I noticed two guys accompanying Freen. Curiosity got the better of me, and I asked Irin about them.

"Oh, that's Heng and Saint. Heng is also a Leo, ranked third. Saint, on the other hand, is an Aries and holds the seventh rank. Don't worry about Saint; true to his name, he's a nice guy. But Heng, well, he's mischievous. Yet, nobody dares to cross him because of his high rank and his friendship with Freen," Irin whispered, placing our food order.

I observed as one of the guys approached Freen with a gift, his head lowered, clearly filled with trepidation.

But why would he take such a risk if he's afraid?

I glanced around and noticed a group of students laughing from a distance. They must have goaded him into this act.

Just as Heng was about to discard the gift, Freen abruptly stopped him. Surprisingly, she accepted it, but instead of opening it, she hurled it back at the laughing students. The gift struck its target with a thud, causing the person's head to bleed, leaving everyone in the vicinity gasping in shock.

Freen gestured for the hapless individual to leave her sight and then sat down, her gaze meeting mine, rendering me frozen in place. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her.

She truly is a breathtaking beauty—the most stunning woman I have ever laid eyes on.

Freen eventually looked away, shaking her head, and began eating her food.

Feeling a weight lift from my shoulders, I sighed and turned to Irin, who wore a puzzled expression.

"Why do you think Freen was looking at you like that?" she asked.

I had no answer to offer, and truthfully, I wasn't sure I wanted to know.