Chapter 25: Letting Go

"In the end, I'd loved her enough to let go. From afar, I would love her forever. — Cynthia Leitich Smith

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Are you certain about this?" Seng questioned, gently halting me as I packed my belongings into my suitcase.

Tonight, I am returning home. I need to go back to district X, far from Freen. I can distance myself from her, but I cannot bring myself to end her life with my own hands.

I believe this is for the best. None of this would have occurred if I hadn't come here. Mr. Kugimiya had been concealing himself for years, but due to my foolish actions, he had to face the headmistress's wrath. Freen was content with Love, and when I arrived, I confused her feelings. Seng, a mere student who wished to avoid involvement with other zodiacs, played a part in protecting me. Gulf, an innocent Sagittarius, may have perished because of me.

Am I their adversary, preventing me from seeing it in my visions? Was Freen right when she attacked me that night? Am I the antagonist here?

"Becky, please stop!" Seng yelled, gripping both of my hands as I continued packing. "Can you just listen for a moment? Why are you running away? It's your responsibility! You cannot alter the prophecy!"

"I cannot bring myself to kill Freen!" I cried out, wrenching my hands free from his grasp. "I cannot end the life of someone who has shown me the true meaning of love. I cannot kill the person who accepts every part of me. I cannot kill her because she promised to stay alive for me!" Tears streamed down my face as my knees weakened, causing me to kneel.

"Becky," Seng embraced me, allowing me to weep in his arms.

"I have ruined her life, Seng. Her reputation, her essence. I have destroyed everything about her. She has changed so much because of me." I sobbed like a child.

"But it is her improved version. She has become better for you," he whispered.

"But she would be at her best if she remains alive, and I stay out of her life." I looked into Seng's eyes, and he shook his head.

I stood up, sat in a chair, and reached for my pen and paper. Since I cannot approach her, I will write her a farewell letter.

Freen,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and brings clarity amidst the surrounding chaos. As I sit here, pen in hand, I struggle to find the right words to express the multitude of emotions that consume me. However, it is crucial that I share with you the truth that weighs heavily on my heart.

I want you to understand that what I am about to say comes from a place of love and a desire to protect the people we hold dear. It pains me to admit it, but I am the one responsible for the mess that has engulfed us all. My actions, my choices, have brought turmoil and uncertainty into our lives.

In an effort to rectify my mistakes and ensure the safety of everyone involved, I have made the difficult decision to return to District X, the place where I truly belong. By removing myself from the equation, I believe that things can slowly begin to return to normal. It is my hope that the void left by my absence will create space for healing and restoration.

Please understand that this decision is not made lightly. I am fully aware of the pain it will inflict upon both of us. Our love has been a source of solace and joy in my life, and letting go is one of the most challenging things I have ever done. However, I firmly believe that this sacrifice is necessary for the greater good.

Freen, I want you to remain strong and live your life to the fullest. Embrace the happiness that awaits you, for you deserve nothing less. Though it may hurt, please know that my love for you remains unwavering. You have touched my soul in ways I never thought possible, and those memories will forever be cherished.

In my absence, I hope you find solace in the arms of loved ones, in the beauty of the world that surrounds us, and in the infinite possibilities that lie ahead. It is my wish that you continue to grow, thrive, and fulfill your dreams.

Remember, Freen, that sometimes love means making the most difficult choices. And in this moment, I am choosing to let you go, not because I lack love, but because I possess an abundance of it. By doing so, I hope to restore harmony and ensure the well-being of everyone we hold dear.

Please take care of yourself and always hold onto the love and memories we have shared, even though it was just the beginning. They will forever remain etched in my heart. Farewell, and may life bring you the happiness and fulfillment you so deserve.

Becky

I folded the paper and placed it inside the envelope, then handed it to Seng.

"Are you certain about this?" Seng asked, his voice filled with sadness.

"Do I have any other choice?" I replied.

Seng nodded and tucked the envelope into his jacket.

"Why is it always us who have to adapt?" Seng asked, tears welling up in his eyes. "I accepted everything to be by your side, and now because of her, you have to leave."

Confusion furrowed my brow. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing," Seng shook his head and wiped away his tears. "I will go now."