Chapter 12: The Missing Ring

"Kiss me, and you will see how important I am." - Sylvia Plath

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Attention all students! A valuable golden ring has gone missing within the university. To conduct a thorough search, we kindly ask everyone to remain in their dormitories until further notice. Please cooperate and stay in your designated areas while our staff, alongside security personnel, search all common areas. Report any information or suspicious activity to the dormitory office immediately. We appreciate your understanding and support. Updates will be provided through subsequent announcements. Thank you for your cooperation. Stay safe and remain in your dormitories until further notice."

Freen and I exchanged glances upon hearing the announcement blaring through the speaker in the cafeteria. Heng, visibly annoyed, tossed his jam-covered slice of bread onto his plate and abruptly left. Saint turned to us, silently inquiring if we should head back, but Freen simply continued eating.

"What's the deal with the golden ring, Saint?" I asked.

"The former headmistress owned it. She was an Ophiuchus. Her husband crafted the ring to shield others from her powers. It prevents the absorption of abilities from other constellations. Only another Ophiuchus can wear it, and they would gain immense power since the ring contains all of her abilities," Saint explained.

"So, did her husband betray her?" I questioned. "I mean, he's the one who gave her the ring, right?"

"No, it was for her protection. With that ring, she was rendered immortal. However, she disappeared, and some say she perished. No one knows what truly happened," Saint shrugged and excused himself.

Turning to Freen, I inquired if she knew anything about it, but she merely shrugged.

After finishing her meal, we made our way back to the mansion. As I entered the room, my heart sank at the sight before me. It was an absolute mess—a chaotic jumble of scattered belongings, as if someone had desperately ransacked the place in search of something. Books lay strewn across the floor, their pages crumpled and dog-eared, evidence of hurried perusal. Papers, crumpled and forgotten, covered every available surface, marking the intensity of the search.

The usually organized and focused desk had transformed into a battlefield of disorder. Half-open drawers spilled their contents onto the floor—pens, notepads, and random trinkets forming a haphazard pile. Discarded clothes littered the chairs and bed, abandoned in the frenzy of the search. It was evident that no corner had been left unturned, no potential hiding spot overlooked.

Once-meticulously arranged shelves now displayed a collage of misplaced items. Precious photographs mingled with mementos and knick-knacks, displaced and forgotten in the relentless pursuit of answers. The room seemed to hum with an electric energy, a tangible sense of urgency that lingered in the air.

As I surveyed the scene, I couldn't help but feel a profound connection to the room's occupant. It was as if their unwavering determination had imprinted itself on the very walls, leaving behind a trail of scattered belongings and displaced objects. The disorderly room spoke volumes about their restless curiosity and insatiable hunger for knowledge.

"Who would dare enter this sacred mansion?" Freen asked, scanning the room. She picked up a book, dusted it off, and furrowed her brow. "That person wasn't here just to search for something."

Startled by her words, I turned to Freen and observed the book she held. Its title caught me off guard: "Ophiuchus and other Zodiacs. Written by: HXX." I read aloud. "Who's HXX?" I questioned.

Freen's gaze shifted towards the window, her eyes taking on a golden hue, before she abruptly leaped out, momentarily unnerving me.

Damn, I forgot about her beast-like abilities.