The Great Child

Kadian was bewildered at her newfound discovery. She had yet to meet someone with the same name as her back where she lived. Teachers, friends, acquaintances, strangers- nearly everyone she had ever came across managed to mispronounce her name. But in Azuraya, it was associated with some sort of tale, and she hoped that it was a positive one.

Kadian's excitement was quickly overshadowed by the memory of Hulu's crazy cry- "KADIAN? KADIAN? THERE IS HOPE!"

It was such a vague, but important declaration. What was there to hope for, and what would she have to do with it?

All of these thoughts were interrupted by a tug on her shirt. She turned to see a beautiful little village girl. She had lovely dark skin (like most of the villagers), and pretty oval eyes. Her hair was in once intricate, but now fuzzy, cornrows.

"Hello," Kadian said sweetly.

"You've never heard of Busaru?" the girl asked.

"No, I haven't. Is Busaru your friend or something?" Kadian squatted down to the little girl's level.

"No, it's where 'Kadian' is from."

Kadian gave her a puzzled look. "How'd you know my name?"

"No no no," the little girl shook her head. "Busaru was a storyteller. And one day he made up a story about a girl named Kadian."

"Really?!"

How was it that Kadian had never heard of this particular story? She enjoyed reading African fables as a child, and she certainly would've remembered seeing her own name in one.

The girl cocked an eyebrow. "So you're name is really Kadian?"

"Yes."

"Where are you from?"

"I came from Michigan, Detroit Michigan, over in America. So can you tell me how the story goes?"

The little girl grabbed a handful of Kadian's twists and twirled them around. "Well, everyone used to love Busaru and his stories. But one day he came up with a crazy story, and swore it was going to come true. He said a Great Danger would come to Azuraya. And that there was gonna be an older girl-" she paused to stare at Kadian-"with hair almost like yours. Except her twists are longer, and she's always wearing green."

Kadian scrunched her face up. "I hate green."

The girl ignored her remark and continued. "Her name is Kadian, and she's a savior. The spirits will bring her to us, and she will save Azuraya- or the world. I dunno."

Enthralled, Kadian asked, "Then what?"

The girl continued to play with Kadian's hair and shrugged. "I dunno. That's the end. Busaru swore it would come true, and no one believed him."

That was not the ending Kadian had been anticipating.

"Why didn't anyone believe him?"

"Cause he was crazy. And it's a silly story."

Kadian was taken back by this last remark, but asked calmly "Why do you say that?"

"Cause women are never in charge, that's why."

"Here? Why?"

The child shrugged again.

"I dunno, they just aren't. The chief and the men run the real stuff. Girls take care of families, and cook, stuff like that."

Kadian frowned. "I mean, yeah, women usually do those things," she admitted, "but that doesn't mean mean run everything. Just think of all the important women you know!"

"None."

Kadian snickered.

"No really, none," the girl insisted.

"What about your mother?" Now she had her. No one in their right mind would say that their mother wasn't important (assuming they weren't negligent.)

The girl hesitated before answering, "Well, important to me, sometimes. But still, no."

Kadian's eyes grew wide. Before she could say anything, the girl inquired. "Isn't America's president a man?"

"Yeah."

"Was it ever a woman?"

"Uh...no."

The girl giggled. "So men run the world, but some girl is supposed to save us?" She let go of Kadian's hair and put her hands on her hips, waiting expectantly for an answer.

"Yes, because...because we can all do whatever we want to- boy or girl." Kadian said carefully as she rose up. "If that makes sense."

The girl stared up at Kadian with the slightest hint of admiration.

"You already know mine, but what's your name?" Kadian asked.

"Everybody calls me Sister," the little girl said.

Kadian spotted the vulture off in the distance. He taunted her from a bush, popping his head in and out.

"Uh, I have to go," Kadian said slowly, still staring at the bird, "but it was nice meeting you Sister." She extended her hand to the child, who shook it.

Kadian decided to pursue the bird as soon as possible before he decided to flee. "Thanks for the story!" she called as she dashed towards the vulture.

"She runs like an idiot," Sister thought as she watched her leave.  

*Author's Note*

Hey, I hope you all are enjoying everything so far! The beginning is a bit slow, but a LOT of things are going to happen when this story picks up- so feel free to ask questions at any point! I would hate for anyone to be confused. I'd really appreciate comments and votes if you like what you see :) Thanks for reading!