The Great Question

*Author's Note*

I know it's been over a week, and I apologize.  I've just been feeling especially lazy lately, especially after the Fourth of July. It's not a great excuse, but it's the honest one. But I'm going to get back on schedule, hope you enjoy!  P.S. Wattpad is still acting kind of wonky, and won't let me edit twice. So if you see a few errors, that's probably why.  But I'm doing my best to prevent them.

                                                      ***********************************************

There she was, hovering over the market.  It was Kadian's last day in Azuraya.   After today, she and the rest of the high school tourists would be on their way back to the American wasteland they call 'home'.  

Mohassen had already spoken to Zee the day before.  "What I wanted her to know, boy," was all Zee would say when he asked her how much Kadian knew in regards to Azuraya.

Mohassen had neglected to talk to Kadian herself that day, however.  It wasn't that she wasn't readily available; she was always around.  He just simply dreaded the thought of speaking to her.  She had given him such a...strange feeling the last time they spoke.  He couldn't identify the feeling, and he didn't like that.  

But, he knew how angry his father would be if she flew back to America with too much information.  So, regardless of his feelings, Mohassen took a deep breath and made his way towards the girl.

Kadian stared at a rack of handmade necklaces.   She wanted a piece of jewelry to wear so that a piece of Azuraya would always be with her.  They were very beautiful, but none seemed quite right.  Just as she was observing an aquamarine necklace,  she heard a male throat clear next to her.  

She quickly turned her head to see Mohassen.  Kadian looked back at the necklaces, remembering how he felt about her, and Americans in general.  He would not want to converse with someone he viewed in such a negative light.

She went on as if he wasn't there, until he quietly said "Good morning." 

Kadian looked all around from the corner of her eyes, searching for people nearby, before he loudly repeated "Good morning, Kadian."

It was then clear that he was speaking to her, but why?  Perhaps he was guilty. "As he should be," Kadian thought.  But, in an attempt to be civil, she kindly replied "Good morning,  Mohassen.  How are you?"  She noticed that he looked a bit uncomfortable.

"I..." Mohassen fiddled with a purple bracelet, avoiding eye contact, "...am fine.  I am  assuming that you are doing well?"

Kadian shrugged. "I guess.  I feel kinda sad, though. I'm really gonna miss Azuraya."

"You mean the bars and the pools and the clubs?" He raised an eyebrow.

Kadian tried to give him a frustrated look, but was too glum to be angry, and ended up laughing instead.

"The only time I leave the reserve is to shower, sleep, and eat," she explained. "Besides that, I'm almost always here.  It's so pretty, and warm, and different here.  It's probably one of the most wholesome places I've ever visited.  I can't believe more people don't feel the same, but it's almost like a neat little secret, you know?" She stared off wistfully at a tree, while Mohassen stared at her.

"And I know you all aren't too fond of tourists-maybe it's because of how some of us act.  But I appreciate those who at least tried to be understanding towards me anyways."

Mohassen rubbed his neck.  He had not been one of those 'understanding' people.  Then he scolded himself; there was no need to feel sorry for this girl.  Kadian cringed a bit, also realizing this, and changed the subject.