The Great Day After

Alaba sat outside of her tent, braiding Sister's hair as she coldly eyed Kadian from a distance.  Thanks to her, she had gotten quite a mouthful from Mohassen the night before.  She couldn't remember the last time he was so angry at her, and it was all because of Kadian.  Of course she couldn't have just calmly accepted her fate, of course she decided to scream and fight instead.

"You're braiding too tight!" Sister whined.

"Shut up monkey!" Alaba snapped. "I don't care.  Besides, I have a job for you to do, and I want you to look nice while you do it."

Sister got tense. "Um, what kind of job?"

Alaba looked around to make sure no one was within earshot, then dropped her voice. "I need you to take care of one of those certain people."

Sister prayed it wasn't who she thought it was. "Who?" She asked, hiding the fear in her voice.

Alaba spoke even lower.  "Kadian.  I don't know how much longer that bitch will be here- but it's probably too long.  You know these woods well, don't you?" Alaba inquired.  Sister was silent.

"Yes, you do," Alaba answered for her.  She spoke almost inaudibly at this point.  "So I need you to make a path in the woods.  Some sort of discretely marked path or something, that ultimately leads Kadian right to Shango.  You will make her go down this path, she will die, and I will take care of her body.  Afterwards, you are to wipe away all traces of the path immediately.  You have 3 days- no more, no less, or you become one of my certain people.   Are we clear?"

Sister gasped.  Kadian?  Kadian was now on Alaba's list?  They hadn't killed anyone in years.  Harmed, schemed, conned, and manipulated, sure- but she wasn't ready for another murder.  Especially not Kadian's!

But Alaba said if she didn't, she was next.  Her sister had said it multiple times, and she knew she meant it.  Sister really didn't want to die, but that didn't mean she wanted Kadian to, either.  This was all so confu-

"Hey!" Alaba smacked Sister's face with a greasy hair brush.  "Pay attention!  I said 'Are we clear?' And what do you say after that?"

"Yes, dear Alaba."

Alaba relaxed.  "Good," she sighed. "Now stay still, I only have a few braids left."

Kadian suddenly got the feeling she was being watched from where she was. She decided to head to Zee's hut, seeing that it was where she felt the safest. As she made her way there, she passed Mohassen. Rather than the typical look or glare, he gave her a small, empathetic nod. She did the same.

"Elder Zee?" She tapped on the woven door softly. It swung open.

"Come on in, child! You're just in time for my special brew. It'll give you back your energy from last night."

A 'special brew' didn't sound even the slightest bit appealing (what made it special?), but never one to be ungrateful, Kadian thanked Zee graciously when she handed her a cup. Kadian peered at the dark green herbs floating around the steamy brown liquid.

"Try it!" Zee said. Kadian nervously blew on the mixture, braced herself for a revolting taste, and took a sip. She had braced herself for nothing- it tasted fine. The flavor was difficult for her to describe, but it reminded her of a very strong herbal tea.

"You like it?"

"Yeah, it's really good. Never had anything like it- thanks!"

Zee beamed before pouring herself a cup, and settling down.

"I assume you're here to talk about last night?"

"Something like that..."

Zee took a sip of her concoction. "Something like wat?"