The Great Snob

Despite the hectic first day, the rest of the week went by rather smoothly. It was almost as if Kadian and her class had their own routine established; everyone would wash up, eat breakfast at the hotel, and part ways for the day. Jade and the students usually spent their time off reserve, sightseeing and shopping. But Kadian would head straight to the village as soon as breakfast was over. She would window shop at the markets, make small talk with the villagers (who weren't always the politest), follow the illusive vulture, and wander about listlessly before going to Zee's hut for more stories.

Kadian learned that Busaru was a famous storyteller from thousands of years ago. He was held in very high regards, and all of his many stories were considered quality literature-until he began to insist that his latest tale was indeed true. He had vouched strongly for Kadian, a character in his beloved story 'Verlosser.' Busaru insisted that the story was actually a prophecy-not a fictional tale. He even mentioned the character on his deathbed. The once popular piece of reading suddenly found itself reduced to not only a bedtime story, but the permanent source of laughter for Azuraya.

She also learned a bit about the two women who 'hadn't lost it'-Omose and Mimosa. Zee didn't talk about them in great detail. All Kadian knew was that Omose had been the chief's wife, and Mimosa had been the chief's son's wife. Omose died when her son was only eleven, and Mimosa's death was somewhat recent. Despite the village's views on women, both were held in high regards.

"It's a very...sensitive topic for the people. Won't be tellin' ya too much." Zee admitted.

Kadian had also met the chief during her stay, Chief Mohoso, who greeted her rather coldly when she tried to say hello. It was soon apparent that American students in general had left a bad taste in the villagers' mouths throughout the years. But she had yet to see his son whom all the girls longed for- Mohassen.

"Mohassen is so handsome!"

"Oh that boy is so brave!"

"He's the best warrior!"

"I wish he were mine!"

These were only a few of the compliments that Kadian had managed to overhear during her stay.

According to the villagers, he often spent his time deep in the woods, hunting, training, or thinking. Kadian had looked forward to seeing Mohassen at least once after hearing everyone rave about him, but she only had two days left in Azuraya, and did not want to waste them searching for a stranger.

Apart from Zee, most weren't particularly trusting or kind to Kadian, but one girl was. Kadian had grown especially fond of Sister, and would occasionally spend the day with her. On this particular day, the young girl strolled up to Kadian and tugged on her shirt.

"Let's go get flowers."

"Okay then."

Kadian had been contemplating ways to kill time, and the girl's suggestion seemed like the perfect solution. Not only did she love flowers, but she loved spending time with Sister-for she was like the little sister she never had.

The two walked through the village together, hand in hand. Suddenly, Sister froze, and abruptly let Kadian's hand go.

"What's wrong?" Kadian immediately checked to see if her hands were sweaty.

"That's my sister."

Sister now had an unreadable expression on her face, and her eyes glued to someone up ahead. Kadian followed her gaze, and her eyes landed on a tall, absolutely stunning, slender young woman. She had the magnificent dark skin that most of the villagers had, but she was a few shades lighter than Sister. Jet black, waist length box braids adorned with red beads cascaded down her back. Her light orange, ankle length dress swished elegantly as she walked. Gold jewelry adorned her ears, neck, and wrists. She looked to be in her early twenties, and walked with a certain arrogance that could easily be mistaken for confidence.

"Why heeeelllooo Sister!" She knelt down, dramatically threw her arms around the young girl, and smothered her with kisses. Sister lifelessly returned two of them.

"How's my baby sister? I see you made a new friend," she cooed. She then looked up at Kadian, who hand been standing there quietly.

"This is Kadian," Sister explained. "She's from America. "

"Kadian?!" The woman's voice was no longer sweet as she threw her head back with laughter. "Well dear, how has that name been to you? I could never imagine doing that to a child."

"Fair, actually," Kadian said with an edge to her voice. "What is your wonderful name?"

The woman stopped laughing and stiffened.

"My 'wonderful name' child, is Alaba," she said, slowly and coldly.

"Well it was nice meeting you Alaba, but if you don't mind we"-she motioned to herself and Sister-"had plans for the day."

Alaba's eyes quickly dropped to the little girl upon hearing this. Sister, who had been silent the entire time, spoke.

"Uh, actually Kadian, could you just pick the flowers for me? I just remembered I promised Alaba I'd be with her." Kadian's face fell as Alaba smiled contently.

"Oh...alright then." She had not expected to be rejected by a six year old.

"The flowers she's referring to are over there, dear," Alaba smugly pointed towards a floral corner of the woods.

"I already knew that," Kadian calmly lied as she headed off.

Sister watched her go. "Pick me some blue ones please!" she shouted.

"Will do!" Kadian called back.

Alaba watched Kadian walk off, and slowly looked around the village before violently snatching Sister's hand. She dragged her behind a tent before whispering harshly "What have I told you about American bitches?!"

"Kadian's not that bad, I swear!"

"She's not 'that bad'?"

"No!"

"Interesting. Well I hope you've had your fun, because that know-it-all's school is leaving in a few days!"

Sister gasped. "Aw, I forgot!"

"But it's not like you care, right Sister?"

"Right!"

"Because you know what I think of caring about certain people..."

Sister's eyes widened. "She's one of the certain people?"

"You saw how she spoke to me back there! Yes, she may have been one of those certain people, if she wasn't going home so soon. I suppose I won't be seeing too much of her in the future-might as well save myself the time. But don't you let me catch you hanging out with that girl again!" She snapped as she dropped Sister's hand..

"I've noticed her around here, being a little nuisance. She'd better stay out of my path for the remainder of her time." Alaba flipped her hair as she strided away.

Sister slumped against the tent, angry that she had been so stupid. How could she have been so careless, how could she have ever let Kadian almost become one of those certain people? She decided that she would have to keep her safe for these last few days, even if it hurt her feelings.