The Great Plane

"You know something?  I actually had a lot of fun with you little losers!" Jade said perkily to Kadian's classmates as she gnawed at a piece of gum.  They all agreed happily, and relived memories from the club, bar (the students ordered virgin drinks), and pool while waiting for their flight to arrive at the airport. 

Kadian just stood quietly off to the side.  She could not relive any of their memories, because she hadn't been present for any of them.  Although she wouldn't have traded her experiences and time in the village for anything in the world, part of her wished that she could've gotten along better with her classmates.  That their journey was also hers.

Jade noticed her.  "Uh, you were cool too kid, you didn't give me any problems.  I hope you had fun." Kadian flashed her a smile, and Jade blew bubbles at her in return.  Two bubbles.  That was usually a good sign.

The thought of going home was upsetting and gratifying at the same time.  It was obvious that Kadian would miss Azuraya- she'd never felt so at peace anywhere else.  But she didn't want to go back to having to deal with school, and everyone there.  However, there were two things that made it all worthwhile- her home, and her family.  

She missed her cozy little brick house in Detroit.  She missed the patchy little lawn, and the faulty back door that always swung open wildly at the slightest touch.  It wasn't the prettiest neighborhood, but it certainly wasn't the worse.  Her neighbors were all friendly enough, and everyone was concerned about the community as a whole.

Then there was her family.  Her protective father was probably going crazy back home, wondering if Kadian was safe. It killed him to let her to fly to Africa, but he knew how much it would break her heart if she couldn't go.  Oh how she missed his immaturity and humor!

And then there was her lovely mother, the relatable one.  She was the closest thing she had to a sister, and she was so easy to talk to.  She was so loving and sweet that Kadian could never stay mad at her for long.

Her brothers, however...her older and younger brother equally got on her nerves. But they also were equally fun to be around, and would do anything for her.  She broke into a smile, and wiped a watery eye.  Maybe Azuraya couldn't quite compare to being at home after all.

She swung around when she felt a heavy tap her shoulder. "You don't have to go, child."

Kadian laughed and hugged Zee once more.  She couldn't tell if the old woman would actually care that much once she left, but Kadian knew she would miss her.

"Oh, but I do!  I'm sorry Elder Zee.  But I'm writing to you as soon as I get home, I promise! "

"You'd betta.  And be prepared, cause I still have a lot more to say!" Zee said with a laugh.  Suddenly, her small eyes widened.

"What's wrong?" Kadian asked.

"Your class is leaving you child, you betta run!"

Kadian turned around and saw that she was right.  They were more than halfway across the airport- their flight had arrived!  The other villagers who were there to give'heartfelt' goodbyes took notice. 

"Oh my Onile girl, run!" They shrieked.

"Bye!" Kadian cried as she dashed off towards her class.  She couldn't see everyone-it was crowded- but she could make out Jade's green polo and khakis.  

"Who runs like that?" a villager asked as she took off.

Kadian ran as fast as she could, despite the crowd and her heavy luggage.  Her class had already made it to the departure gate, and were beginning to board the plane!  She didn't want it to come down to this (it'd be humiliating), but she was going to raise her voice if she wanted them to stop.  She prayed nobody looked at her as she screamed at the top of her lungs"Waaaiiittt!  It's me, Kadiaaaaan!"      

The class didn't hear her, and surprisingly, no one else seemed to.  She pushed her way through a particularly tight space, then decided to drop her luggage.  It was slowing her down, so she figured she would come back for it after she stopped her class. 

"Excuse me," she said repeatedly as she squeezed through a clump of oblivious people.  Navigation was much easier without the luggage, but she was peeved by the fact that not one person willingly moved for her.

The gate was now only a few feet away. "Kadian!" A voice behind her called.  She turned to see a slender, short-haired village teen with her luggage, coming out of the tight crowd.

"Why would you ever leave your stuff behind?  It's not worth it." She panted and gave Kadian her bags back, then the two ran alongside each other. 

"Waaaaiiiit!" Kadian screamed.

The last student had handed over their ticket.  A tall, blonde flight attendant with red lipstick stood behind the gate, directing her classmates where to go. 

"Hold on!" the village teen yelled. 

Immediately the woman turned around, and flashed a bright smile.  "Why, are you in this class dear? Hurry up before the gate closes!" Her voice was kind, but urgent.

"What?!" Kadian thought.  Did she not hear Kadian's lung bursting screams the entire time?  And the villager had a soft voice, so how did she hear that over Kadian's voice?

Kadian thrusted her ticket in the teen's hands.  "Show her this!" she instructed desperately.

"No, not me ma'am, but her!" The villager pointed the ticket at Kadian.  The woman's smile disappeared immediately.  "Look kid, I don't have time for games, are you in the class or not?  Is this your flight?" Her professional tone disintegrated.

"I'm in the class, not her! Me! ME!" Kadian pointed to herself and screamed.  She was no longer worried what anyone thought of her-she was more worried that people weren't thinking about her at all.  Not once did the flight attendant look Kadian's way.

"Can't you see her?  She's right next to me!" The village girl was amazed and frustrated.  The woman stormed over to the villager, snatched the ticket, ripped it in half, and spoke into a walkie talkie. "Have a safe flight, Charles."  She shut the gate.

Kadian and the girl simply stood there, mouths agape.