Chapter Two•Run

From that point on, Eliza had eyes for David. They had become friends, and their families had become intertwined very quickly. Virginia was the first friend Catherine had made in their new home, and honestly it seemed as though that's all she was going to need. It became almost a nightly occurrence that Virginia would ring the Miller family doorbell, holding a bottle of wine and occasionally something that she'd cooked up in her kitchen.

"You know you can just walk right in, Virginia. You don't have to ring the bell."  Catherine would playfully scold her as they walked in towards the kitchen.

"I know, I just like to be polite." Virginia would laugh and wink at Eliza as her and her mother would sit in their spots at the counter.

Just as Virginia and Catherine were growing closer, so were Eliza and David. He'd invite her over to hang out with the neighborhood kids while they were playing football in his front yard, when Catherine and Eliza would take trips to the beach they'd always invite David, and Virginia would always drive the pair to school every morning.

Of course, as their families grew closer, Eliza's feelings for David grew as well. She was drawn to his innate kindness. She loved watching him use manners around her mom, or be so incredibly kind to every person he met, whether he liked them or not. Whenever there would be a gathering at his house for all of the neighborhood kids, he'd always make sure to invite everyone, even the ones he didn't care for. Eliza loved him for that.

One day, when Eliza and David were thirteen years old, David decided to host a wiffle ball game for all the kids in their neighborhood. This wasn't an unusual occurrence, and when David rang Eliza's doorbell to invite her to play, she accepted without a second thought.

After putting on the proper clothes to play wiffle ball in, she headed over to David's. There was a wooden fence separating their yards, so she went around to the front and went in through the Grohl's gate, just as she had about a million times.

"Hi, Eliza!" Virginia called through their opened kitchen window. The smell oozing from the window was utterly mouthwatering. Virginia was always whipping up magic in her kitchen.

"Hi, Ms. Grohl!" Eliza responded as she shut the gate behind her and headed towards the backyard.

She found David already there, setting up the bases around his backyard. He was wearing a plain black t-shirt, with blue shorts, and his favorite red baseball cap. Eliza knew it must be his favorite because he wore it nearly every day.

"Hey, Eliza, what's up?" He greeted her with.

"Nothin' much. You need any help?"

"Actually, yeah, I do. Can you go into my garage and grab the cooler full of waters and bring it back here?"

"Of course." She said as she started towards the garage.

She went in and grabbed the red cooler that he'd asked for. "He's bringing out water for everyone. How sweet." She thought as walked out. She wheeled it around to the back of the house, and when she got there, everyone was waiting to play.

"Eliza, you're on my team." David said as she set down the cooler.

Eliza stood in line, waiting for her turn to bat. Once she got up, she could sense a change in tone from all the other boys there. She was one of three girls who were always invited to play with them, and Eliza knew she was only invited because of David. No one else here would want to play with her. She'd been playing around with these boys for two years now, and they still didn't respect her or see her as a friend.

When she got up to bat, she noticed the pitcher, named Blake, turn and laugh towards his friends.

"C'mon, throw the ball." Dave hollered from the side.