Chapter Twenty Four•Overdrive

Eliza's phone rang, and she sprung up to answer it. Only Dave would be calling at this hour.

"Hey sweetheart, how are you?" He asked as soon as she answered the phone.

"I'm doing good. I miss you though."

Dave was still on tour, and it had been weeks since she saw him in Chicago. They only had a few more tour dates before it was over, and then they were slated to begin recording the new album. It was early March, and they would be recording in May. Eliza was finishing up her junior year of college, and was expecting to graduate in about a year. Once she was done with her studies, she planned on becoming an elementary school teacher. She knew that she'd be able to spend her summer with Dave while he was recording, so that was something to look forward to. But for now, their conversations were reduced to brief phone calls.

During this particular phone call, Dave recapped the latest week of tour, explaining who he partied with and his latest feuds with Courtney.

"I just don't get how you two are friends." Dave said, sounding quite confused.

"I don't know if I would call us friends. We just, got along. That's all."

Dave sighed into the phone. "We'll sweetheart, I've got to go. Call you tomorrow?"

"Sounds good."

"Eliza, I love you."

"I love you too, Dave."

She waited until she heard the click on the other line to hang the phone back up on the wall, trying to savor every moment together that they could.

"Only a few more weeks." She thought to herself.

And, soon enough, the time came. Dave's tour was over and Eliza was on summer break. The band had moved back to Seattle so that they could begin recording, and Eliza was slated to move in with Dave.

She arrived on Nirvana's private jet that she had originally objected to, but quickly changed her mind when she discovered the private chef on board.

"Oh, what you can get with some money and fame."

She touched down in Seattle and was driven to the studio that Nirvana was recording in by the infamous limo and its driver. This was no shock, as Dave had already disclosed that he was in a meeting and she would have to come over by herself.

Once she arrived, Eliza thanked the limo driver, who was going to the hotel to unload her luggage. She stepped into the studio and sat in the waiting room, awaiting Dave to come out of his meeting.  After about ten minutes, the door swung open and Dave came running out, eager to meet Eliza.

He swept her up in his arms and kissed her, so happy to finally be in her presence again.

"How did the meeting go?" Eliza asked once they had finally settled down.

"Well, it was fine. We eventually got what we wanted. Kurt isn't happy, though."

"Why, what happened?"

"Well, his vision doesn't match the labels'. They want another Nevermind, and Kurt wants to try something new."

"You should do what you want."

"We know. We're gonna work through it. We're gonna play some songs for them in a few though. Wanna come listen?"

"Absolutely."

Eliza followed Dave down a series of halls until he reached a big wooden door, which he flung open. The room seemed to be a recording room, with the band's gear already set up. In a room in front of where the band would be playing was a giant sound board with what seemed like hundreds of buttons and levers.