Chapter Five•Show Me How

They'd been driving for upwards of twenty minutes now.

"Dave, where are we going?" Eliza had allowed him to drive her car to the "perfect spot" mentioned by Dave. In order to keep it a secret, he offered to drive, and was not allowing any clues as to their destination.

"Nope, you're not going to get it out of me that easily." He smiled and waved his finger in her face, playfully.

Eliza sighed and sat back in her seat, hoping they'd arrive at their destination soon enough. She'd desperately been waiting for the moment that her and Dave would reconnect, and now that it was about to happen, she couldn't wait any longer.

After about ten more minutes of driving, Dave pulled off onto a side road and began navigating the car through a winding dirt road.

"Dave, if you're taking me back here to kill me, then you better hope my mom never finds you. She'd kill you too."

He laughed. "Your mom is a scary one, isn't she."

Dave finally put the car into park in quite literally the middle of nowhere. It was pretty dark, as it was already 10:30 at night, so all Eliza could see was a whole bunch of trees.

"Come on." Dave said as he came around to help her out of the car.

"Dave, where are we going?"

"Shhhh." He said, placing his finger across her lips. "You'll see."

He led her to a clearing in the woods and told her to stay right where she was standing. He then walked over to a tree branch, and took down a bag that had already been hanging there. From the bag, he pulled out a flashlight and illuminated the surrounding area. She could then see a fire pit that had been circled off with various stones, and had a few logs in the middle of the circle. He then pulled out a few blankets and placed one on the ground next to the fire pit, and then came over to Eliza with the other.

"Here." He said as he wrapped the blanket around her and sat her down on top of the blanket on the ground. He then got a lighter out of the bag and started a fire in the pit. Then, he took a seat next to Eliza on the blanket.

"Is this your stuff?" A very confused Eliza asked while motioning towards the bag that he'd laid back on the ground.

"Yeah, I made this pit too. I like to come out here sometimes to think, or to write songs. It's very peaceful."

"I don't know, Dave. If I came out here at night by myself I think there'd be some very happy bears coming out of the woods."

He laughed. "Enough about me. We're out here to talk about you. What the hell happened?"

"Well." She took a deep breath before continuing. "It's prom. I went with my boyfriend, who I discovered making out with some other girl in the bathroom."

"My god, that sucks. I'm so sorry." He said, taking her hand. "Boyfriend, ey? That must be the guy I see wandering up to your front door every once and a while."

"Yeah, well, now ex-boyfriend. When I confronted him about it, he didn't even apologize."

"Eliza, that is so horrible. You don't deserve anything like that. I am so sorry."

"It's alright. He wasn't the greatest guy in the world anyways. It's probably a good thing that we broke up."

"Yeah, it probably is." She could feel Dave's eyes fall upon her face, his gaze growing more intense as he said his last sentence.

Unknowing how to take his shift in tone, Eliza jumped topics as fast as she could. "So, tell me about yourself. Dave." She said playfully, mocking his new nickname.