Chapter Thirty•Walking A Line

Eliza couldn't breathe. It's like she was seeing a ghost. Dave was older, wore his hair above his ears, and was sporting a goatee. However, when she looked into his eyes, he was still the teenage boy that she dreamed about every night before she fell asleep. Dave looked shocked, but not in the same way that she was. Eliza was angry, her face hard and shoulders tense. She was seeing the man that she loathed, the one who pushed her away when she would do anything for him. She had hoped and prayed that she would never have to see his face ever again.

However, when Dave looked at Eliza, his was an expression of longing. His face seemed to melt at first glance.

They held eye contact for a few seconds too long, ending when Eliza snapped out of it and picked back up her magazine.

"Ummm, ok?" Taylor said, moving on, clearly confused.

"I think I'm gonna use the bathroom." Eliza said, getting up and shooting a smile at Taylor before leaving the room.

"That was weird." Taylor said, looking for Dave to give an explanation.

Dave was unresponsive, just staring blankly at the wall.

"Earth to Dave." Taylor said, waving a hand in front of his face.

"Oh, sorry." Dave said, snapping out of it. "Are you, uh, dating her?"

"No, it's not like that. We're just really close friends. Met her back home. We've been friends for about a year now."

"I didn't know she was living in LA." Dave nearly whispered.

"Do you, like know her or something?"

"Yeah." Was the only response that Dave was able to muster up.

Taylor looked at him skeptically, one hundred percent sure that there was more to this story.

"I've gotta go back to my room and get ready for the show. See you backstage tonight?" Dave asked, his mood shifting.

"You know it." Taylor said, clapping him on the back as he walked out. Taylor and Dave were known to party during festival nights, and tonight seemed to be no different.

Dave made his way back to his dressing room, and just as he rounded the corner in the hall, he ran straight into Eliza, who was returning from the bathroom.

"Oh, hey." Dave said.

"Hey." Eliza said, her face cold.

"How, how are you?" Dave asked.

"Now's not the time." Eliza responded, giving him the cold shoulder and walking away.

Dave stood there, defeated.

Eliza walked back into Taylor's dressing room and plopped down on the couch, still shook from her abrupt meeting with Dave.

"So, you didn't tell me that you were hooking up with the drummer of Nirvana." Taylor said casually while pouring himself a glass of wine.

"I never said that!" Eliza said defensively, her cheeks growing flushed.

"Yeah, but I could sense it. It's like he walked in and the room turned to ice."

"Well, we aren't hooking up anymore, that's for sure."

"I'm listening." Taylor said, sitting down on the couch next to her, still holding his glass of wine.

"Well, we were childhood best friends. Grew up next door to each other. One day we decided to start dating. Then, he went on tour with his first band, and let's just say that things ended pretty rough. I ended up going to one of his Nirvana shows, and we started going out again. When Kurt died, Dave was devastated. It really tore him up, and we just couldn't sustain our relationship. I ended up leaving him and moving down to LA. I haven't seen him since. Well, until ten minutes ago."