Chapter Six•Something From Nothing

Eliza shuddered awake. What time is it? She looked at the clock, and it read 12:30. PM. She sighed, realizing that she slept away most of her day. It wasn't until she stepped out of bed and put on her slippers did she remember what had happened last night.

David. She'd had the best night in a long time just sitting under the stars, getting to know the new Dave. His presence was like a warm blanket being wrapped around her soul. He still had the old heart of David, but wore the new body of Dave. She could still feel the coolness of his touch as they laid underneath the Virginia stars. And all she wished for was to be able to do it again.

She put on her robe and headed down the stairs. She found her mother sitting by her kitchen counter, sharing coffee with none other than Virginia Grohl.

"Good morning, jitterbug."

"Morning mom. Hi, Mrs. Grohl."

"Hi, Eliza." Virginia responded, shooting her the classic Virginia grin. Eliza wondered if David had told his mom about last night.

Eliza walked over to her fridge to get something to eat, and her mom continued her conversation with Virginia.

"What do you mean he was acting strange?" Catherine prompted Virginia to return to the conversation they were having before Eliza came downstairs.

"He came home at one in the morning, which isn't strange for David I will say, but he seemed so happy. Catherine, I haven't seen that boy smile the way he did last night in a long time."

"What do you think happened?" Catherine asked.

"I have no idea. When he finally went up to his room, I could hear him playing guitar and singing all night."

Eliza had remained in the kitchen for much longer than she needed to, as she wanted to keep listening to Virginia talk about Dave's odd behavior last night.

"Eliza, you wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you?" Catherine asked, clearly trying to mask the mysterious grin spreading across her face.

"Nope." Eliza said shortly, shutting the fridge and headed back up the stairs.

She laid down on her bed, the only thought in her head was Dave. Of course, she had been thinking about calling him all morning. She wondered what he might be up to, and if there was a possibility of them hanging out again soon.

Is this all in my head? Eliza thought to herself, tossing and turning to find a comfortable spot on her bed. Sure, they had spent a few hours together last night, but did it really mean anything? Maybe he felt bad for her because she looked like such a disaster, and just took her out of pity? But there was no mistaking the way he looked into her eyes, or the way he held her under the stars.

Knowing that there would be no way she'd be brave enough to call him first, Eliza spent her day sitting in her room, waiting by the phone. Hours passed without a phone call. Around three o'clock, Eliza had lost all hope. She slept the day away, praying that the only thing that would wake her was a phone call from Dave.

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk. Eliza jolted awake. She sat there for a moment, wondering what had awoken her so abruptly. Thunk. There it was again. Something was hitting her window. She got up and opened her curtains, revealing Dave, throwing what seemed to be rocks at her window.

"Dave!" She whispered loud enough for him to hear as she opened her window. "What are you doing here?"

"Come down here." He said.

Eliza looked at her clock, realizing she didn't have a clue what time it was. 9:30 pm, which made sense, seeing as though the sky was colored a light pink haze. "Dave, I can't. It's late. We have school tomorrow."